• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

American... Get that rig!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
At one point he was adding and AVERAGE of 6-10 post a day. And not adding ANY new information like he did when he was new here.

It's the same BS, everyday..day in and day out. People have gotten tired of it and left. It would have been much simpler if he had left and we could have still had a relevant website. Very sad.

Someone put this thread out of its misery.

There are plenty of people that are clueless about the SW pay system.

I just finished flying around 85 hours of flight time for Jan, and will be paid 126 trips for pay. Picked up a few trips, some deadheading in there, and that awesome rig of 6.5 per day showed up a few times. No premium and I'll make the equivalent of a 12 year Delta widebody FO. Around 180/hr per hour flown.

Substandard? Hardly. Now I'm all for increasing the retirement component and increasing the pay with at least min COLA raises, but to throw the whole structure under the bus just because you're ex-Tranny is ridiculous.

Parking? Yea that's a huge benefit. Reserve? Maybe we could get airport standby like AirTran had. Give me a break.

Nobody comes close on..

1. Rig per day
2. Codeshare, scope
3. Pay structure in general

At least min COLA eh ? Wow. Quite the warrior spirit.

How many days off did you get ? Include your commuting days since you had to commute in a day early, or day late for each trip. Unless you consider your commute time off ? 85 hours of block is nothing to be proud of. It's over 1000 block hours a year. You're a good little minion aren't you. .....Nice and productive ?

There are some great things about the contract, but some of it sucks equally. The Reserve system is pretty abysmal. You've already given your views on how awful AirTran was - so why compare the Reserve systems ? Do you consider them a fair comparison suddenly ? You could counter the ready reserve argument with 'long call'.

You'll settle for 12%, min COLA and a tummy rub. I'll bet my "game changer" on it.

dicko is 100% correct... PEOPLE NEED TO WRAP THEIR MINDS AROUND THIS...

PRODUCTIVITY TO THE AIRLINE MANAGERS IS MONEY OUT OF YOUR POCKET AND INTO THEIRS.

Unless your time is of no value.... however mine is.

dicko is 100% correct... PEOPLE NEED TO WRAP THEIR MINDS AROUND THIS...

PRODUCTIVITY TO THE AIRLINE MANAGERS IS MONEY OUT OF YOUR POCKET AND INTO THEIRS.

Unless your time is of no value.... however mine is.

That's a pure ALPA point of view, HA25.

To us at Southwest (at least those of us here by choice), productivity is money IN our pocket, not out, and something we like about Southwest. We credit more hours per duty period, more per pairing, more per month, for the same number of days' work. Or the same credit for fewer days of work. However you want to look at it.

And you have it all backwards: my time is of great value to me. I don't want to sit around on overnights on unproductive trips. I want to work/get paid the most for each day I'm at work--therefore I can work fewer days for the same total monthly credit. Ergo, more days off--the days that are important to me. How do you not see that? You'd rather work more days to earn whatever total credit you need? You'd rather sit around on long overnights than be at home? Just to make the same amount of money?

Yes, being more productive helps the company. It means they need fewer pilots to fly their schedule. But so friggin' what?! More important than that, it's also good for me, in that I get more days off for a given monthly credit that I need (or want in a given month).

Being purposely unproductive only helps ALPA. It means the company has to hire more pilots for a given schedule, and ALPA gets more dues. That's pretty much it.

Bubba

SWA Bubba - your view is a pure SWA point of view. Or a regionals....

When you fly internationally or ;long haul with destinations that are not daily, you can't fly very productive schedules. We need rigs.

Same goes for interisland. At 30 mins a leg and a finite allowed number of t/o & landings per day, there is only so much productivity to be had.

So for most of us, increasing productivity is giving up time off.

And if you were being truthful to yourself, all the premium time SWA gives in the many different instances (re-routes, schedule changes, etc.) is basically a rig of another name. More money for the same amount of flying.

Bubba you're talking at me and not with me.

Not talking about productivity as a one way street. OF COURSE we want to be productive. There is a word of difference between doing a 3 day trip and getting only paid the flight time and nothing on your 30 hour layover and doing it and getting paid 5.15 min daily credit while sitting there. Unlike southwest, airlines that fly big jets on long single segment trips into markets with only one flight per day HAVE to have trip rigs or the pilots end up working for free. This is something meaningless to you but trust me the guys at Delta and United know what Im taking about. As do many unhappy AA pilots holding junior trips that are "unproductive".

SWA Bubba - your view is a pure SWA point of view. Or a regionals....

When you fly internationally or ;long haul with destinations that are not daily, you can't fly very productive schedules. We need rigs.

Same goes for interisland. At 30 mins a leg and a finite allowed number of t/o & landings per day, there is only so much productivity to be had.

And if you were being truthful to yourself, all the premium time SWA gives in the many different instances (re-routes, schedule changes, etc.) is basically a rig of another name. More money for the same amount of flying.

Actually, my view isn't just "SWA or regional." It's anyone who's not doing what you just said--long haul international and non-daily destinations. If you aren't stuck someplace because there's not another flight for 36 hours, that's one thing. And maybe it's your thing, due to the type of operations Hawaiian does. But that's not what bigger airlines typically do, and it's not what HA25 was railing about.

BTW, I am being completely honest, and I agree--rigs are key. Probably more so at an operation like yours. We have great rigs at Southwest: .74 tfp/duty hour, min 6.5 tfp/day average, etc, etc. But their primary point is to keep the company honest in trip creation. It forces them to keep the trips productive so the company isn't paying us for nothing. You generally see them kick in during irregular ops; otherwise, we are working/crediting more in a given work day.

And like I said, that translates to more days off for a given monthly credit.

Bubba

BTW, I don't understand this statement. "Increasing productivity" means working longer or denser trips during your pairing, rather than sitting in hotels. How does that give up time off? Does it mean something different to you?

Bubba

Latest resources

Back