• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 70 being discussed

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Nothing like two 70 yr old guys in the cockpit in the middle of the night over the ocean and something goes wrong

How about two 30-something Air France guys in the cockpit in the middle of the night over the ocean when something went wrong?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

How about two 30-something Air France guys in the cockpit in the middle of the night over the ocean when something went wrong?

well said

It's been proven that "fluid intelligence" (the ability to respond intelligently to a new or novel situation) declines steadily with age. Age 70 is approaching the age where full on dementia and alzheimers starts to kick in for a significant portion of the population (about 6 out of every 1,000 people) It's no more "age discrimination" than the age 23 ATP requirement.

http://www.brainhealthhacks.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/fluid-and-crystalized-intelligence3.png
Can it be tested for?, does it set in earlier on some than others? In all cases, is a 60 year old safer than a 70 year old? How about we make retirement age the age of the youngest pilot to experience incapacitation in the cockpit. Wham a 47 year has a heart attack in the cockpit, new retirement age 47

Can it be tested for?, does it set in earlier on some than others? In all cases, is a 60 year old safer than a 70 year old? How about we make retirement age the age of the youngest pilot to experience incapacitation in the cockpit. Wham a 47 year has a heart attack in the cockpit, new retirement age 47

Yip why do you think the FAA has ATC retire at what, 56?

Or how about the guys in the bombers and fighters over Europe and the Pacific in the forties. Oh wait a minute they were thirty and younger in most cases. Move over pops it's time to retire.

I've jumpseated on quite a few flights with 55-64yo captains who should not be flying. They were pretty much along for the ride, making top dollar and screwing everyone below them while not doing much work. These are they same guys who will never have problems with line checks or PC's because they've been there 30 years and know enough people smooth things over.

Remember the 2 geezers who got so low on the approach into HOU they clipped a light pole over the beltway...5 miles out. Ignored 2-3 low altitude alerts from a controller.

Latest resources

Back