• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 70 being discussed

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If the age limit goes away, so must the seniority system.

And replace it with what? The buttkissing system? Whoever gets their monthly bid in first system?

You guys crack me up. You want the left seat so bad, you'll propose anything, forgetting that the alternate system you propose for your benefit could ultimately bite you in the butt.

You have heard of the "Law of Unintended Consequences" haven't you?

Seriously, Abe...what's your proposal?

P.S. I wonder how many of you young studs who are so outraged about the change in the retirement date will punch out at 60. After all, it was the law when you took your first flying lesson.

You guys crack me up. You want the left seat so bad, you'll propose anything, forgetting that the alternate system you propose for your benefit could ultimately bite you in the butt.

You don't get it. You been arguing this for so long on the majors board you don't even bother to change your argument.

WE DON'T WANT YOUR LEFT SEAT!!!! We want your FO's to have your seat.

I simply want out of the regionals. This was never meant to be a place to sit for 10 years. I would be HAPPY being an FO at a major for the rest of my career. That's good because I'll never see the left seat anyway.

I simply want the same opportunities the generation before me had. The arrogance and selfishness of the baby boomers is ASTOUNDING!

I am positive you didn't stagnate at a regional for the better part of a decade. You probably went straight from military to 121 didn't ya?

I can think of NOTHING I'd rather do than retire at 60. You're wrong

Nothing like two 70 yr old guys in the cockpit in the middle of the night over the ocean and something goes wrong

I want the retirement age set so that I personally benefit the most, given my age and seniority. Isn't that what everyone wants?

I want the retirement age set so that I personally benefit the most, given my age and seniority. Isn't that what everyone wants?

I know you wont get this but,

Not everyone has that attitude.

There is right and wrong...... and there is selfishness. Honor integrity and dignity really are important. They should NOT just be adjectives.

In the course of my life, I have supported policies/rules/situations that didn't turn out to be the best situation for me. It DID NOT benefit me, but it was the fair.....the RIGHT thing to do. I knew the rules and chose to participate in that activity/job/career.

I can look at a situation from the outside and say "this does not benefit me, but it is the right thing to do" Are you truly not able to do that?

So...no...believe it or not I didn't go to "the first regional that would hire me like everybody else" and no I don't "want the retirement age set so that I personally benefit the most, given my age and seniority. Like everybody else"

I just want what is fair. And changing the rules specifically to suit you is not fair.

Maybe what you meant was that everybody's idea of what is fair depends on their age and seniority.

Last edited:
(yawn....)

back to regularly scheduled programming....this thread should be put to bed immediately....

I suppose it should be no surprise that the industry would be so short-sighted - again.

Raising the age fixes a short-term problem, and helps a few guys who, for whatever reason, would have been caught with their proverbial pants around their ankles. But, for airlines, it's a five year extension in paying out highest-tier wages and, for those who counted on the customary progression, an even higher cost.

I'm glad it's working for a couple hundred pilots, who reaped the benefits of the old system, while thousands stagnate in the current one.

Agree with it or not, raising the retirement age does absolutely nothing to fix the root cause of the looming pilot shortage.

Implosion forthcoming.

Latest resources

Back