Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

COOPERVANE

Member since 1967
For those just POSITIVE there will be a shortage.

We need to fight this time.

If it happens, I'm going to barber school. Better career expectations

http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?p=2204581#post2204581

A post on PPrune had it right. Copied from there

Age 70 is already being quietly discussed in the halls of the U.S. Congress and ALPA. There was a lot of whining about Age 65 but in the end, there was not one vote against it when it sailed through legislative approval in the States.

In the EU there is talk of eliminating the manditory retirement age for pilots altogether to comply with "human rights" laws.

As always, there will be a two phase process if the retirement age changes again.

Phase One:

Don't worry, that will never happen, the feds won't go for it, ALPA will block it.

Phase Two:

It's a done deal, our hands were tied, we had to go along with it to have some say in the matter.

Over the years this two phase process has been used many times to approve such things as CVR's, locked cockpit doors and drug and alcohol testing. And seniority list mergers..

Last edited:
I don't think the majors will sit still for this...they don't want guys at the top of the pay scale hanging around ANOTHER five years.

Hurry this thing up, I am approaching 68 and I want my 121 cockpit back. Again the Vietnam era pilot misses the boat, forced to retire at age 60, retirements wiped out, only to see their juniors be given more make up time to to go to 65, now maybe another 5 years if they chose. Lets go back to 1957 before there was a FAA and a deal between a couple WWII Air Force buddies to set a retirement age at 60. No retirement age is the only way.

ENOUGH, retire already! i don't even want to work until 65! Age 70 goes through and I'm done with this career, I'm not sitting right seat in regional hell for another 5 years

In the EU there is talk of eliminating the manditory retirement age for pilots altogether to comply with "human rights" laws.

Rightly so. Mandatory retirement ages are age discrimination. Period.

ENOUGH, retire already! i don't even want to work until 65! Age 70 goes through and I'm done with this career, I'm not sitting right seat in regional hell for another 5 years

Guys like you make guys like me want to stay around just to keep you down there. Enjoy the heat.

Not gonna happen. Age 65 was a "Bush deal" and Obama (whether you voted for him or not, that is not the point...) ain't gonna extend it.

And guys like you make me want to bust through your monitor and strangle your geriatric ass.

Doesn't matter what you think or want. Gear up and enjoy the chicken.

I saw this coming. Solves the pilot shortage problem with the stroke of a pen.

Latest resources

Back