Age 66?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Skull-One said:
BTW, I have never "marred" a flight attendant.

I tell you what. I'VE marred a few in my time. You betcha'. Well, at least a couple. OK, it was just the one. But, she liked it. I think. Maybe not. Ok, OK...I've never marred a flight attendant, either.

But, there was this one that sure marred me! Permanent damage.

Maybe you've got a point...

JohnDoe said:
N2264J:

You're kidding right??

If the retirement age goes to 66, those thousands of furloughed pilots could be out on the street for an additional 6-7 years. Some, who have a limit on their recall time, may NEVER be called back.......

Maybe I'm not getting it right.

But if you're suggesting that the furloughees are not going to be recalled for 6 or 7 years because all the pilots on the seniority list at the legacy carriers stay on until they're 66, doesn't that imply a representational problem with the union?

In other words, if everyone stayed to age 66 if given the opportunity, why is the union using our dues dollars to fight it?

Whether they stay beyond 60 or not, I think most people would like to have the choice.

One thing the age 60 rule currently does is CREATE MOVEMENT--which is something this industry desperately needs. If guys are allowed to stay on beyond that there will be STAGNATION for years. Not good if you're low man on the totem pole sitting reserve.
Replacing a fraction of retirements beats nothing at all. Anyhow, I'd rather be enjoying retirement when I'm in my early 60's--not dragging a bag around and eating mediocre food at a podunk hotel somewhere.
Put money into your 401 (k)!:cool:

It doesn't create that much movement, and once everyone is absorbed into the system at the new rule it will create the same amount as before.

Any "stagnation" will be short term (far less than the 3-6 years of the age extention).

Junior pilots are incredibly shortsighted. People only want this stupid rule so they can upgrade quicker. Good luck when the junior guys want to kick your butt out of the left seat....

This age 60 rule has been around since the 50's, and everyone knew about it from the beginning. The junior people are not shortsighted, they are expecting the same thing you expected thoughout your carreer---advancement possibilities. Just because your company doesn't have retirement or a good reitirement, doesn't mean you need to change the rules for everyone. Maybe your contract sucked, or your company went tit$ up----well that sucks. Over age 60 flying will stunt the growth of flight schools, and delay movement.

Bye Bye--General Lee
:rolleyes:

Actually, the rule came into being in 1960. Management created it to screw pilots. Go figure.

People are living longer, retirement plans and Social Security rules are changing... Why are we as an industry still stuck in 1960 on this stupid rule?

Get rid of it. I'm young enough to handle a couple of years of stagnation. I want the choice to be mine not the government's.

I agree with the General. You knew the rules when you got into this game. If you didn't like them then you should have done something else. Get rid of the old Fu-kers. They got theirs now they want to pull up the rope. I do not agree however that retirees would come back out of retirement. If they did they would go to the bottom of the list, and the company would not pay to requalify them for a couple years service.

DougCorp-9 said:
You knew the rules when you got into this game. If you didn't like them then you should have done something else.

I guess we should still use our Sectionals from 1960 and fly Connies VFR over the canyon. Times change. Gotta run, I've got a flight to Idylwild. ;)

"I guess we should still use our Sectionals from 1960 and fly Connies VFR over the canyon. Times change. Gotta run, I've got a flight to Idylwild. "

Unfortunately, some of our pilots actually call JFK that....Life has got to be better on the golf course!!!

Bye Bye--General Lee:cool:

General Lee said:
"I guess we should still use our Sectionals from 1960 and fly Connies VFR over the canyon. Times change. Gotta run, I've got a flight to Idylwild. "

Unfortunately, some of our pilots actually call JFK that....Life has got to be better on the golf course!!!

Bye Bye--General Lee:cool:

The 60 rule needs to change. My opinion and nothing more. people are living longer and better than before, so why not. As to things not changing...........it ain't NorCal.........it's Bay Approach and always will be!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

AF:)

Latest resources

Back