Age 66?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
make your union retrie you

You young guys have most of the votes in your union , throw out those old guys who are stealing your seats, it is the union way, but let those of us who need to work in the bottom end of the 121 business continue to make a decent living. We promise not to interfere with your seat progress. I have planned on retring from my last four jobs, but the job did not last that long.

Hey Red,

Spoken like a true professional. Nice job......All I did was clue in on the fact that you were wrong and I guess thats not sitting too well with you. Well get over it and enjoy your career and your retirement at EAGLE.

Pilotyip,

I know what you mean and I feel for you, but I have a pretty good idea what you make at USA Jet and thats a pretty good wage to get yourself set up rather nicely. Good luck.

Networ-King,

Let me remind you of the statements you made in one of your posts:

1) "some of you are freaking morons in my book."

2) "all yourdoing is letting eveyone on this board know that your too stupid to set yourself up in any other way."

3) "but you guys take the fu*king fruit cake of the year award."

4) I counted five uses of the word Fu*k in one post.

I think you should look in the mirror, look at yourself, and then re-read your post before you tell someone else that they have responded unprofessionally. Do a search of all of the posts I have ever made on this forum and you will see that I have rarely, if ever used invective or derided someone's opinion. I have offered rebuttals, to be sure, but I do not generally assassinated someone’s character on a message board.

Ok, I admit, I used bullsh*t in response to the age 6o suporters. I regret that I used that word. I should have chosen more carefully.

Red,

None of the 5 F words were directed to one person directly. Tempers do flare and I am guilty of losing it here and there. Your right no reason for that kind of tone, but this whole industry is getting kick after kick after kick to the midsection and those are the ones, people can't control....... 9/11, economy, SARS, etc...... this is just another kick to the family jewels, but this is controlable. And its going to cause some major problems. I'll remember not to throw rocks in my glass house if you promise to do the same.

we shall agree to diagree. nuff said.

I am curious how those in favor of the age 60 rule will defend it in the court of public opinion.

60 year old: I want to keep my job
youngster: I want his job

youngster: flying over 60 is unsafe
60 year old: Part 121 is the only segment to have this rule, not general aviation, not part 91, not part 135, not even those bubbas flying single pilot helos in minimal weather to the oil rigs

youngster: this rule has always been here
60 year old: this rule came about in 1960 due to a smoke filled, closed room, no public discussion meeting between the first head of the FAA and the chairman of AA who were good friends. Coincidentally, when the FAA chief retired 2 years later, where did he go? The Board of Directors at AA.....

As the arguement makes it up to the Supreme Court....
youngster: all of those reaching age 60 are mentally slow...
age 60: aren't most of y'all on the Supreme Court well over 60 and OK???

What about the ATP age 23 rule? Is this also age discrimination? 16 to solo? 17 for private etc. etc. etc.?

whats going to happen is that the "peak earning years" are going to be from 62 to 66, so nothing is going to change, it is just going to shift. It almost sounds like another way for the company to beat us down, work us more and pay us less. Fight for fair pay and work rules and don't let them hold us down any more.

Thanks for the insight

DoinTime said:
Many defined benefit pensions have a clause that penalizes you for early retirement. At NWA your pension is penalized 4% for every year that you retire early. If you were to retire at 60 when the mandatory age was 66 you would take a nearly 25% hit on your pension benefits (six years of compunded deductions).

I see.

So, they can retire at 60 if they want to and instead of pulling down $10,000 a month it's "only" $7,500. That's more than I make in a month flying 82 hours as a Captain.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure these defined benefit plans are economically sustainable with people living longer, healthier lives and the mainline pilot groups stagnated or shrinking. Sooner or later, the plan reaches a point of diminishing returns and with all the legacy retirement plans now grossly underfunded, probably sooner.

I suspect these retirement shortfalls will be addressed in respective bargaining anyway. No matter, the decision to leave or stay at 60 should be a personal choice if you can pass your proficiency check and medical.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back