Tell your senators to vote NO on the Inhofe pilot retirement
amendment to S.824

The United States Senate is expected to take up S.824, the
FAA Reauthorization Bill, in the next few days. During
consideration of that bill on the Senate floor, Republican
Senator Jim Inhofe from Oklahoma will offer an amendment to
repeal the Age 60 rule. The Inhofe amendment would
immediately increase the retirement age to 63, opening the way
for retired pilots, age 63 or less, to return to the cockpit.
Thereafter, the retirement age would be increased to 66.

ALPA is opposed to the Inhofe amendment. ALPA's position
on this amendment is consistent with the Association's policy
on the Age 60 rule as established by its governing bodies and
reaffirmed at the May 2003 Executive Board meeting in
Washington, D.C.

Many ALPA members are naturally concerned about the
effects that repeal of the Age 60 rule, as proposed in the Inhofe
amendment, would have on their career expectations. For the
nearly 10,000 ALPA members who are on furlough, passage of
this legislation could extend the period of unemployment. For
those who are looking forward to retirement in the next few
years, it could result in changes in their retirement plans and
benefits. For those who are currently flying, but are near the
bottom of the seniority list on their property, the potential
exists that a recall of retired pilots could cause active pilots to
be furloughed.

The airlines are also concerned about the effects of this
legislation on their operations. Because of the many
uncertainties associated with increasing the pilot retirement age
at this time, most of the major carriers are opposed to the
Inhofe amendment.

Your help is needed to stop the Senate from making a big
mistake that could adversely affect your career as a pilot. Send
your e-mail messages NOW to your two senators, urging them
to vote NO on the Inhofe amendment. Go to the ALPA website
at www.alpa.org and sign on to the ALPA Members Portal
Page with your password. Click on the Action Alert icon and
follow the directions from there. Just a few keystrokes on the
computer and your messages will be on the way to your
senators

You guys are nuts. Age 60 is an abomination and needs to go. Tell them to vote yes! Your peak earning power is being taken. What will you do when you're 57 and find out your pension was underfunded by greedy management (ask the USAirways folks abou the Age 60 Rule)?

- No Company Retirement
- No Social Security
- No chance

What will you do? Go work at Wal-Mart?

REPEAL AGE 60 NOW! You have the optoin to retire early if you wish. I DON'T. I WANT THE OPTION TO KEEP GOING PAST 60. Life has a habit of throwing curve balls at you. It is always better to have alternatives...

Last edited:
Captjim
I used to agree with you. Now that it appears I will be spending a career at the regionals I see a need for me to be working to the ripe old age of 65 or so. If I can do it flying, well that beats Walmart any day.

Skull-One said:
You guys are nuts. Age 60 is an abomination and needs to go. Tell them to vote yes! Your peak earning power is being taken. What will you do when you're 57 and find out your pension was underfunded by greedy management (ask the USAirways folks abou the Age 60 Rule)?

- No Company Retirement
- No Social Security
- No chance

What will you do? Go work at Wal-Mart?

REPEAL AGE 60 NOW! You have the optoin to retire early if you wish. I DON'T. I WANT THE OPTION TO KEEP GOING PAST 60. Life has a habit of throwing curve balls at you. It is always better to have alternatives...

It's called planning and not marring 5 flight attendents! I have no plans for for a company funded pension. Rental property, 401k, IRA and not paying ala-money to some bimbo! It's called tinking abvout the future, don't screw me over becouse you wasted your money when young!

Some people don't have that choice any longer (USAirways, TWA, etc. etc. etc.).

If you're so good at planning then you don't need an Age 60 Rule. You can retire at 60 on your own.

I for one, like to fly. I don't appreciate being told that I'm no longer competent just because a page on a calendar flips.

I have contacted both my Senators and urged them to support Inhoffe's Amendment. Age 60 is *WRONG*.

BTW, I have never "marred" a flight attendant.

I also have not married 5 FA's I have one wife, two kids a dog a cat and a mortgage that count on my income. To best raise our children, my wife stays home and will continue to do so for a number of years. The price for this and for getting a somewhat late start in aviation is working past 60. Be very careful the brush you paint with when you accuse all of us of being wasteful because we can't afford to retire at a comfortable level at age 60.

Everyone knew the age 60 rule going into this. Switzerland has an age 55 rule. What else do you want to change? Would you like to change the law allowing you to marry your sister? That's what I thought. Just because some airlines don't have a retirement or a good one, doesn't mean we have to change the rules for everyone. I suggest everyone who doesn't want this to pass to write their Senator----go to Congress.org.

Bye Bye--General Lee:cool: ;) :rolleyes:

We're not Switzerland. We're the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. A persion should be free to work for as long as they are competent to do the job.

Rules are meant to be changed, especialy when they are bad ones. We knew the rule. We *KNOW* it is bad. We must work to change it.

By your line of thinking we should never negotiate for pay raises or work rule improvements. Hell, let's go back to the days when people worked 16 hour days and had one day off a week....where child labor was exploited for the bottom line...I could go on for days!

That is the most warped argument I have ever heard.

Also, "Going into this..." Our industry did not have an Age 60 rule until **1960** (and the FAA still doesn't for its pilots!). It was political and 100% B.S. put into place to screw pilots, not help them.

I encourage everyone who *opposes* Age 60 to contact their Senators. Let's get this abomination off the books for good.

Educate yourself. Here's a link about Age 60...

http://www.avweb.com/news/aeromed/181875-1.html

And another....

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~dxw/Articles/age60.html

Last edited:
Not so!

Skull-One said:
What will you do when you're 57 and find out your pension was underfunded by greedy management (ask the USAirways folks abou the Age 60 Rule)?

Actually, at the last Executive Board in May, resolutions were brought imploring ALPA to change their stance on the Age 60 rule. I, like you, thought that a couple of the legacy carriers would support the resolution because:

• thousands of furloughees might appreciate having a few more years earnings potential to get their retirement in order
  • those pilots at carriers whose defined benefit plans were recently decimated might appreciate a few more years of earnings potential to shore up their retirement plans

The carriers that dominate ALPA and, not coincidentally have defined benefit plans, voted against the resolution including, to my surprise, US Airways and United.

There is a lot of pilots who seem to believe the industry is going to snap back a couple of years.

N2264J:

"thousands of furloughees might appreciate having a few more years earnings potential to get their retirement in order"

You're kidding right??

If the retirement age goes to 66, those thousands of furloughed pilots could be out on the street for an additional 6-7 years. Some, who have a limit on their recall time, may NEVER be called back.......

Latest resources

Back