• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AA2060 Jumpseater appolgy.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'd like to apologize to YOU on behalf of my fellow pilots for that unwarranted treatment from that FA. It seems like, whenever there are problems with jumpseaters, they come from FAs, not the pilots. Most of us delight in seating you guys in First, and there rarely is a problem. Some of these FAs need to get a grip and stop acting like they own the cabin - they don't. Again, sorry for your crappy treatment, but no need to apologize - you handled yourself professionally and with dignity. You're welcome back anytime. 73

Some of these FAs need to get a grip and stop acting like they own the cabin - they don't.

Its a weak Captain culture that allows this to become a problem.

The F/A was a CU_T, plain and simple. We've simply lost it... When she went to the cockpit and complained about this jumpseater, the Captain should've told her to STFU and do her F'n job. I'm so flippin' sick of these ancient battleaxes running the ship. I sit in the right seat of an AA jet and I watch on a regular basis how our Captains just sit back and take lip from agents, flight attendants, rampers, mechanics, whomever... The Captain is IN CHARGE! Until we start acting like it, we're gonna continue to have worthless, lazy, unmotivated flight attendants 'playing' boss.

Thats the Fix -although I doubt many Captains at AA have the gonads to stand up to "you are just the 'driver' as this has become the accepted role of the Captain at AA....
There are very few if any Captains airlines left.... The saddest part is we did it to ourselves.....

Don't feel bad....AA F/A's pull crap like this all the time. I'm an AAer on the street and get treated the same way from time to time.

What the he!! did you have to apologize for? I know there are always two sides to a story, but they told you to sit anywhere and you did.

If I am understanding you correctly, you explained this to the CA and he still gave you grief. Bad Deal!

F*** that flight attendant! The CA should have made sure that you got a bus. class seat, all the snacks you wanted and a foot massage. We have to start looking out for each other. I'm really getting sick of this BullSH!T.

He was taking the high ground. I used to have jumpseat nightmares (pre-cass) on CAL from FA"s
for the same kind of crap! I'm a Captain and would not tolerate that in a F/A on my plane. But I never see it so It may be in the way you set the tone for the crew. If you tell the cabin crew up front to treat non revs like gold , they will.

Its a weak Captain culture that allows this to become a problem.

Thats the Fix -although I doubt many Captains at AA have the gonads to stand up to "you are just the 'driver' as this has become the accepted role of the Captain at AA....
There are very few if any Captains airlines left.... The saddest part is we did it to ourselves.....

Unfortunately, Captain's authority has been eroded at ALL major airlines, not just AA. The difference at AA is clearly the Flight attendant culture, not the captains. Despite your obvious anti-AA rants, you must call a spade a spade. Almost every captain I fly with has no problem standing up for something when it ain't right. If you ever jumpseat on USAir, the FAs will go out of their way to seat you in First, often without input from the captain. The FAs at AA are clearly against that, and have told me so on several occasions. I, luckily, am one of the few pilots at AA that INSIST all jumpseaters be seated in First (after clearing it with the captain, of course.)

I have only written up 3 fellow employees in the last 10 years in the airlines and 2 out of the 3 have been AA FA's and the other one was an AA gate agent. It's not you - the company pisses in these employees wheaties every morning like clock work and they have no one else to take it out on then passengers - especially non-revs - and heaven help you if you are an off-line jumpseater.

Don't apologize - you should be posting how you forgive the captain and his crew for their embarassing treatment of you - their guest.

Later

What next, they gonna blame you for the already cracked windscreen falling off over south sac? Oh, different company :)

Disclaimer- scooter trash input!

FWIW:

One of the very best jumpseating experiences I ever had was DTW to DFW on AA. Superior flight deck officers (I wish I could mention the Captain's name, I'll never forget it), outstanding FAs, and I was even wrangled into being part of one of the slickest pieces of CRM I've ever heard of, armchair or otherwise. Disruptive pax, me in the forward galley, and a lovely group of flight attendants keeping me company while I did what the Captain ordered. Neat.

I tactfully declined a first class seat and took an exit row in the back, passed out Ferrero Rocher and Rollos/Toblerones to all I came in contact with, and had one heck of a ride. (That right there is gold, and I learned that from a USAir mainline fella.)

Moral of the story: It's as much a grab bag anywhere. Crews are human. Period. And I never jumpseat without tons of candy.

Latest resources

Back