• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

A319 landing question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If the airbus doesn't have a stick shaker, then how are the pilots warned of a stall?

Stall speed can be less than 100 kt, so you weren't anywhere near it. And LTV gives you groundspeed anyway, not IAS, so I wouldn't go shooting approaches off it. Or making assumptions of pilot technique from it.

Anyway, there are other ways to keep out of a high alpha regime without a shaker. The Airbus has a number of protections built in, so the pilot can pull full back on the stick and get maximum performance without approaching a stall. Simply put, the pilot can't stall the airplane, since he can't reach an alpha high enough to stall. If for some reason alpha gets high enough to approach a stall, the autothrust system commands TOGA thrust to power out of an impending stall. If some flight computers or some combination of required sensors are inop, the pilot actually can pitch into a stall by overriding a preemptive pitch down command by the remaining flight computers, but in that case an imminent stall warning screams at him first. In really degraded operation, he doesn't get a pitch down command, but he does get the scream. The recovery procedure is as you'd expect: TOGA thrust and adjust pitch to stay out of a stall.

If the airbus doesn't have a stick shaker, then how are the pilots warned of a stall?

It is imposable to stall a 320 family Airbus operating in NORMAL LAW.

You can however stall a 320 in any law other than NORMAL, if you approach a stall the AWU will yell STALL, STALL, STALL.

You do know 320/330/340/380 Airbus have only side sticks, and they are not interconnected.

You guys are harsh today!

He is the airplane wizard after all, maybe he can figure it out.

Since most 320 family Airbus have stick shakers he is probably right...idiot.

....Realy. AB AC have "stick shakers"....Better study-up for your next oral DA!!!..The only STICK SHAKER in the Airbus is during LAV BREAKS!!!

I don't know... how are you warned of a stall on your copy of MS Flight Simulator?

I haven't used MS Flight Simulator since the DOS version in the mid 80's and my computer at that time didn't have sound. So, the nose just dropped and it started spinning regardless of rudder input.

It is imposable to stall a 320 family Airbus operating in NORMAL LAW.

The airbus can stall in normal law.

Have you ever flown at flaps full alpha max and then retracted the flaps? I wouldn't try because it only prevents the slats from retracting (alpha lock)

Also..full rudder in one direction followed by full rudder in the opposite direction is not approved and would cause a stall at low airspeeds.

The airbus can stall in normal law.

Have you ever flown at flaps full alpha max and then retracted the flaps? I wouldn't try because it only prevents the slats from retracting (alpha lock)

What do you mean "have you ever"? Who the hell would do that? Wait, there was those guys in Buffalo and we know how that turned out...

Also..full rudder in one direction followed by full rudder in the opposite direction is not approved and would cause a stall at low airspeeds.

Actually, I think it isn't approved because doing so can cause the rudder to get torn off, ala AA out of NYC.

Latest resources

Back