• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

A-320 ETOPs ? VA yesterday

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If A320 gets ETOPS VX can save alot of money on fuel to CUN. Currently, A320 flights can't venture beyond 162NM on CUN route while ETOPS flights shoot straight across gulf.

You don't even need ETOPs to fly across the gulf. You just need limited over-water and class II nav certification.

The Airbus goes across the Atlantic because you can do that with a 120 minute ETOPS approval. The A320 family however is restricted to a 120 minute range because that's how Airbus certified the aircraft. It can't do a mainland-Hawaii flight because that requires a 180 minute certification. I suppose if Airbus ever wanted to, they could go through the expense of certifying the 320 family for a 180 minute ETOPS, but then they'd lose a lot of range because, just like the 737, they'd have to carry extra ETOPS fuel, and run the APU the whole way across the Pacific. It just doesn't seem reasonable that they'd do that.

Therefore - Virgin America is not doing 'proving runs' to Hawaii. Like an earlier poster said, it's a delivery flight. VX may be aiming for ETOPS flights, but that would only be for the Atlantic/Caribbean/South America flying, not Hawaii.

HAL

So many guys totally don't understand ETOPS. Good Explanation HAL.

And you don't need ETOPS for caribbean flying...just rafts and life vests. Our (JB) A320s go just over 400 miles off shore and the E190 is just under that...380ish I think. JFK/BOS straight line to the islands. No ETOPS needed.

VX, you're not getting ETOPS. You're barely making $$ as it is now. Cost benefit not there.

The Airbus goes across the Atlantic because you can do that with a 120 minute ETOPS approval. The A320 family however is restricted to a 120 minute range because that's how Airbus certified the aircraft. It can't do a mainland-Hawaii flight because that requires a 180 minute certification. I suppose if Airbus ever wanted to, they could go through the expense of certifying the 320 family for a 180 minute ETOPS, but then they'd lose a lot of range because, just like the 737, they'd have to carry extra ETOPS fuel, and run the APU the whole way across the Pacific. It just doesn't seem reasonable that they'd do that.

Therefore - Virgin America is not doing 'proving runs' to Hawaii. Like an earlier poster said, it's a delivery flight. VX may be aiming for ETOPS flights, but that would only be for the Atlantic/Caribbean/South America flying, not Hawaii.

HAL

The 320 is already 180 minute ETOPS certified. Here is part of the press release from 2006.

Airbus A320 Family approved for 180 minute ETOPS by the FAA
Wednesday, 10 May 2006
Toulouse (AIRBUS) - Airbus A320, A321 and A319, including the corporate jet version, are approved for 180 minute extended range twin-engine operations (ETOPS). The approval was granted by the Federal Aviation Administration after European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) had granted the same approval in March 2004.

The first 180 minute ETOPS aircraft certified by the FAA, an A319 corporate jet is planned to be delivered in May to an undisclosed US customer.

A318 ETOPS approval (EASA and FAA) is targeted for 2nd half of this year, leading to the complete Airbus Single Aisle Family to be ETOPS certified by both Authorities.

This 180 min ETOPS Type Design approval granted by the FAA recognises the compliance of aircraft design with current US ETOPS rules and the significant ETOPS experience accumulated worldwide as well as the high reliability of A320 family ETOPS operations.

ETOPS, is an International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) rule permitting twin-engined commercial aircraft operators to fly routes that are up to 180 minutes flying time from the nearest airport.

The Etops proving runs can be anywhere it does not have to be done over water. Involves more MX stuff and cold starting APU's at altitude than plotting across the tracks....

Read my post. I never said anything about how, why, where ETOP proving runs can be done. I just said it was not a proving run, it was a new aircraft delivery.

Latest resources

Back