A-320 ETOPs ? VA yesterday

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
" We also plan to do CUN with a more efficient routing."

How would any route to Cancun from the U.S. require ETOPS?

New delivery??? Over the pacific?? Thought A320's were make in France? Also the crew was chatting on 123.45 with a UsAir crew. They said they were flying to test the route out? see if it could do it?? Could have been BS but VA guy was asking the Cactus guy about somebody he knew was trying to get on the airways flight.

Airbus has an A320 final assembly plant in Tianjin, China. Opened in 2009 I believe.

" We also plan to do CUN with a more efficient routing."

How would any route to Cancun from the U.S. require ETOPS?

Read the next sentence after the one you quoted. There is such a thing as doing something in excess of the requirements in order to further a goal.

The reason I ask is the fact that ETOPS does not help with a more efficient routing to CUN from any U.S. city pairs.

Hawaii notwithstanding.

Last edited:
The reason I ask is the fact that ETOPS does not help with a more efficient routing to CUN from any U.S. city pairs.

Hawaii notwithstanding.

Yes, the routing is the same as the usual extended overwater route vs the 162 nm rule route. The ETOPS MX & MEL compliance experience is the difference and necessary to get the A320 from 120 minute to 180 minute ETOPS.

Since we do not presently have EOW in our ops specs, just the 162 MN exemption it will save us time on route.

And I don't think the A320 has the legs to do HNL CUN nonstop, but I wouldn't mind such a pairing in something bigger some day!

China to SFO? I think you would have to fly up and over though Alaska for that.. ??

The China to SFO route can be done through Japan to Guam and or Fuel stops in the Marshall Islands to Hawaii or S. Korea through Wake Island to Hawaii.

Lots of places to stop for fuel from Asia to Hawaii as long as you can make Hawaii to the west coast for a Pacific crossing.

Yes, the routing is the same as the usual extended overwater route vs the 162 nm rule route. The ETOPS MX & MEL compliance experience is the difference and necessary to get the A320 from 120 minute to 180 minute ETOPS.

Since we do not presently have EOW in our ops specs, just the 162 MN exemption it will save us time on route.

And I don't think the A320 has the legs to do HNL CUN nonstop, but I wouldn't mind such a pairing in something bigger some day!

So the aircraft dont have dual HF? The Gulf does have a portion where you do enter class II airspace. You either need dual HF or you can apply for a exemption to operate without it.

Latest resources

Back