• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

A-320 ETOPs ? VA yesterday

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm an idiot? I'll make about $13,000 for March. What the hell makes you think I make $45K/yr?

I should definitely make more, have a better retirement match, better work rules, and discipline/merger protection. But I certainly am not doing this job based on the shinyness nor the bigness of the airplane I fly. Since leaving SkyWest four years ago, I have increased my annual income by nearly $100K. It really shouldn't be this difficult for you to figure out why people are going to VA. Hint: it has nothing to do with trying to help you gain leverage for better pay at your airline.

My bad. I assumed you were a FO. People go to VA because they're hiring. That's it. I'm not trying to gain anything for my airline. My hope is that ALL airline pilot contacts improve over the next few years. We have certainly been going in reverse for too long. You obviously know that your pay and benefits are lacking. (referencing your first sentence) I'm just saying to go do something about it!

No, it's the reality of the situation. What's not OK is a SWA pilot to somehow think it was OK for SWA to establish itself with below industry standard wages, but if someone else comes along and does the same thing SWA did, it's wrong?

That exhibits an amazing level of hypocrisy.

We all work for corporations, it's business, not a guarantied career for any of us, unfortunately. Quite a few airlines, and perceived careers, have disappeared through no fault of any of us as individuals. It can happen to any of us. Slamming pilots that have had to start over is classless, doing it while working at an airline that happens to be doing well for now is narcissistic.
No I'm not a SWA basher, but they no longer have the advantages they once had like lower labor costs and fuel hedges that other airlines didn't. They are now going to have to go against the legacies without a cost advantage.
We all live in glass houses.

Ok Danny....you do realize "going against the legacies without a labor cost advantage" is because pilots at those airlines have given away the farm, right? Those companies haven't "done" anything to gain an advantage. Also, Swapa pilots haven't received huge raises, right? They just haven't gone in a negative direction, yet. This race to the bottom is not a good thing for the professional pilot career. Do you understand?

This thread is way drifted and quite boring. It's obvious I'm not a fan of VA. I'm not a cocky guy and typically do not "bash" other pilots. VA just pisses me off because it's an illegal airline. They are given their airbi and the pilots take the low pay and proceed to cheer for themselves. I just call BS. Anyway, you'll all be excited to know done.

odd and funny little guy OUT

This thread is way drifted and quite boring. It's obvious I'm not a fan of VA. I'm not a cocky guy and typically do not "bash" other pilots. VA just pisses me off because it's an illegal airline. They are given their airbi and the pilots take the low pay and proceed to cheer for themselves. I just call BS. Anyway, you'll all be excited to know done.

odd and funny little guy OUT

How is it illegal? Do you know something the DOT did not find in their unprecedented, multiple investigations into the ownership structure? Do you have more information that ALPA, Continental, Alaska, the TWU and others could not find? Please, enlighten me. Perhaps you could offer your information to the DOT.

Latest resources

Back