250 below 10000

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
JungleJetCA said:
Okay, you guys. There were at least two posts in which someone wrote that there is a speed limitation in Class B. There is not. The speed rule is 250 knots below 10,000. This is everywhere. And it's this rule that was waived in IAH, not some fictional Class B speed restriction. If you are in Class B at 11,000 feet, there is no speed restriction. I've flown with guys who do not speed up at or above 10K in Class B because they are under the impression that Class B has a speed restriction. Maybe back in the TCA days but since they gone to calling it Class B, the 250 at 10 is not associated with Class B.
My bad. I meant C&D, not B&C.

XTW said:
If you are more than 12 miles offshore, let 'er rip baby!

Very true... there is an FAR that I read a while back that exempts the 250 blo 10k rule if you are over water. I know LAX has this waiver when taking off to the west. Once the aircraft has reached a certain point beyond the shoreline, socal dep will usually increase speed on the loop4 dep.

Workin'Stiff said:
You'd also be in international waters....

Or hopefully over 'em...

And I can agree with the CLE controllers. What are they doing up there?

Why do I constantly hear "Cross GONNE at ___ and 170 knots"

What is UP with that?

Oh...while we're bitching about CLE. What is up with this:

"Cleveland, N123 airport in sight when it helps"

"thank you, proceed direct downtown expect the visual 24R"

"direct downtown visual 24R N123"

*over downtown*

"N123 maintain 3,000 intercept the localizer cleared visual 24R"

"uh....3000 Visual 24R join final"

??? It's a v-i-s-u-a-l....I can see the airport....and the centerline...I don't need the localizer to tell me how to fly to the runway. Sheesh! Rant off!

-mini

Well, I learned something new I guess. Taking off from a Class B airport, there's no need to stay at or below 200 kias until 2,500' or 4 nm? Am I reading that correctly? That only applies to Class C and D airport surface areas? Doh! I feel dumb!

Read subpart (b). Subpart(d) also allows you to speed if the aircraft requires it. And I think subpart(b) also indirectly tells you the Administrator and ATC are not one and the same. It looks like ATC can ask you to speed only if you are at or below 2500' and within 4 nm of the primary airport in Class C or D but can't tell you to go faster then 250kt unless subpart (d) applys to you.

Sec. 91.117

Aircraft speed.

(a) Unless otherwise authorized by the Administrator, no person may operate an aircraft below 10,000 feet MSL at an indicated airspeed of more than 250 knots (288 m.p.h.).
(b) Unless otherwise authorized or required by ATC, no person may operate an aircraft at or below 2,500 feet above the surface within 4 nautical miles of the primary airport of a Class C or Class D airspace area at an indicated airspeed of more than 200 knots (230 mph). This paragraph (b) does not apply to any operations within a Class B airspace area. Such operations shall comply with paragraph (a) of this section.
(c) No person may operate an aircraft in the airspace underlying a Class B airspace area designated for an airport or in a VFR corridor designated through such a Class B airspace area, at an indicated airspeed of more than 200 knots (230 mph).
(d) If the minimum safe airspeed for any particular operation is greater than the maximum speed prescribed in this section, the aircraft may be operated at that minimum speed.

Last edited:
an example - correct me if I'm wrong...

Aircraft departs a class B airport - standard departure - no restrictions. ATC issues a "level at 10,000 feet / maintain 10,000 feet" restriction.

1) you are still in class B airspace (at 10,000')
2) there is NO speed restriction for class B airspace
3) the 250 KIAS <10k restriction does NOT apply

p.s. I sure miss the departures out of Canada (310KIAS @ 3k) what a climb rate.

To keep yuo boxed...

minitour said:
??? It's a v-i-s-u-a-l....I can see the airport....and the centerline...I don't need the localizer to tell me how to fly to the runway. Sheesh! Rant off!

-mini
Hey Mini,
When you are given a visual approach you can determine your own path to the runway and altitude subject to any other applicable limitations. By clearing you for the visual apch via the localizer and/or altitude limit, the controller is ensuring that you will not go monkeying around and buzz you girlfriend's house. Here in LA, we get cleared the visual rwy 25 (HHR) via the localizer. Why? They do not want us venturing further into Class B to our right. If you do, in that case, you could be violated without the excuse "hey... he cleared me for the visual!"

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back