Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Swerpipe said:
Hey Mini,
When you are given a visual approach you can determine your own path to the runway and altitude subject to any other applicable limitations. By clearing you for the visual apch via the localizer and/or altitude limit, the controller is ensuring that you will not go monkeying around and buzz you girlfriend's house. Here in LA, we get cleared the visual rwy 25 (HHR) via the localizer. Why? They do not want us venturing further into Class B to our right. If you do, in that case, you could be violated without the excuse "hey... he cleared me for the visual!"

aaaah......well I guess that makes more sense then

*opening mouth to take foot out*

Thanks!

-mini

PAA744 said:
I sure miss the departures out of Canada (310KIAS @ 3k) what a climb rate.

Speaking of Canada...What exactly is the rule for speed below 10. Someone told me that you can do more than 250 when departing and below 10, but on arrival below 10, you are limited to 250 or less.

For practical purposes, this is all in Canadian airspace.

Erlanger said:
Read subpart (b). Subpart(d) also allows you to speed if the aircraft requires it. And I think subpart(b) also indirectly tells you the Administrator and ATC are not one and the same. It looks like ATC can ask you to speed only if you are at or below 2500' and within 4 nm of the primary airport in Class C or D but can't tell you to go faster then 250kt unless subpart (d) applys to you.

Yes, in the language of the regulation, if it states, "Unless otherwise authorized by ATC," (or similar language) then the Air Traffic Control can provide the relief. If it states, "Unless otherwise authorized by the Administrator," (or similar language) then the only way to obtain relief is to petition for an exemption through Part 11 (which is a four-month process).

You have to be careful there, aero. A friend of mine is a radar controller, and sometimes I used to visit with him(pre 9/11). We were sitting there looking at an arrival string, and everyone had a 250 kt restriction. Every aircraft was arriving at the intersection with a groundspeed of about 320, give or take a couple. Then this yahoo comes over and his groundspeed is 380. So my friend asked him his speed and the reply comes back: "250"

We chuckled about it for a couple of minutes, and then he says, if it had resulted in a loss of separation he would be so busted.

Did I read somewhere that the new Gulfstreams have transponders that display IAS on an ATC scope ?

Had a late night mini debate with an approach controller at PBI a couple of months ago over this very issue. He told us we could disregard the 250kt restriction and I basically told him I didn't realize he was authorized to clear us for that. He was basically saying to do it and he wouldn't tell me. Not on your life! The same guy told me I could keep the speed up (disregard the speed restriction) just a couple of days ago. We ignored him and made sure we were at 250 when we hit the offshore limit.

Now, what's with guys taking off out of FLL or PBI that think it helps one iota to go 340 kts the instant they are 12 miles offshore at 5000ft or so? Go fast on the descent when you aren't blowing fuel out of the tailpipe. In the climb, there is no value to going throttling up for a few minutes at higher speed and disproportional higher fuel burn.

Last edited:
AKAAB said:
Now, what's with guys taking off out of FLL or PBI that think it helps one iota to go 340 kts the instant they are 12 miles offshore at 5000ft or so? Go fast on the descent when you aren't blowing fuel out of the tailpipe. In the climb, there is no value to going throttling up for a few minutes at higher speed and disproportional higher fuel burn.

I disagree with that statement. Depends on the aircraft. I can tell you from personal experience that the 727 with -17 engines likes to go fast. You could do the company published optimal climb which was about 300-315 kts or you could push it over and get 340-350 kts kts and get approx the same rate of climb. Being that your thrust setting is the same and the climb rate is very, very close but gnd speed is much higher it was actually more advantegous to go faster.

SSDD said:
You have to be careful there, aero. A friend of mine is a radar controller, and sometimes I used to visit with him(pre 9/11). We were sitting there looking at an arrival string, and everyone had a 250 kt restriction. Every aircraft was arriving at the intersection with a groundspeed of about 320, give or take a couple. Then this yahoo comes over and his groundspeed is 380. So my friend asked him his speed and the reply comes back: "250"

We chuckled about it for a couple of minutes, and then he says, if it had resulted in a loss of separation he would be so busted.

If I go below 280 below 10,000, it's because of severe turbulence. They'll never catch me.

Latest resources

Back