Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

kingfisher

Someone got some thoughts on this one:
Coming into the Boston area and doing 265 KIAS. Told to descend to 9000FT and maintain present speed. CA was of the opinion that ATC could not ask for this and that we needed to slow to 250, I wasn't so sure. I thought that they could. Anyone? Thanks.

ATC does not have the authority to waive the 250 below 10. They can however waive speed restrictions in class B&C.

250 below 10 is a hard rule, ATC cannot "authorize" you to go faster than that. There are exceptions, I beleive the Concorde had to use that since its min speed clean was well above 250. Also IAH has a program (not sure if it is still going on) that authorizes ATC/Aircraft to operate up to 300 knots in the IAH class B.

CLE has a program that restricts aircraft to 170 within the Class B. It's the only airport I've ever seen that moves traffic faster during a snowstorm than on a clear day!

:D

MarineGrunt said:
ATC does not have the authority to waive the 250 below 10. They can however waive speed restrictions in class B&C.

Excuse me but yes they can. There are some aircraft that need to go faster than 250 to matain a clean speed. The 747 just happens to be one of those a/c and sometimes our clean speed at landing weight is above 250.

kingfisher said:
Someone got some thoughts on this one:
Coming into the Boston area and doing 265 KIAS. Told to descend to 9000FT and maintain present speed. CA was of the opinion that ATC could not ask for this and that we needed to slow to 250, I wasn't so sure. I thought that they could. Anyone? Thanks.

Maintain 265 (or greater if trying to make a commute). When ATC asks, "Say speed," you answer, "250."

Thedude said:
Excuse me but yes they can. There are some aircraft that need to go faster than 250 to matain a clean speed. The 747 just happens to be one of those a/c and sometimes our clean speed at landing weight is above 250.
DC10 too. ATC usually expects high speed climbs from these airplanes, as far as I know.

Latest resources

Back