• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Comair Shrinking More And Faster?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A little bit of Comair history..Comair most certainly had CRJ's when Delta bought them..

Also before Delta's hostile takeover, Comair was intent on buying Spirit (I believe it was). They would have had a different start-up plan than say Indy Air..... Comair's stock was doing very well on it's own. They would have entered the "major" market well before 9/11 and well before Jetblue (how'd Jetblue work out?)

Hey General...weren't you the one who was spouting off about JB going bust after year 5 because they would have to start paying for the maintenance on the Bus? Howd that prediction work out.. In fact I haven't seen one prediction of yours come to fruition...

-Comair pilots got hired at Delta contrary to your opinion.

-Delta STILL hasn't gotten any scope back, there's still plenty of regional feed.

- Delta is not growing and they have seemed to halted their growth strategy for the moment..

The General and his 5 or 6 alter egos is a fool and should be on everyone's blocked list. Obviously every idiot pilot knows Comair was the US launch customer of the CRJ 100 in 1992 so no the were not a turboprop operator when DAL bought them. Duh. And yes, it's also well known that CMR management openly discussed it's desire to buy Spirit or another startup flying "mainline" gauge aircraft. DAL bought CMR to kill them plain and simple. You would think that after 10,000+ posts and 10+ years here on the preeminent avaition chat board that idiot would have learned something about the industry, but no, he remains an embarrassment to all of is with his ignorance and insistence upon trolling the regionals and picking on the regional pilots.

Last edited:
I have to agree with General. CVG wouldn't even be close to a market to grow. Indy Air even had the Washington DC market and failed with 50 Seat RJ's and a hand full of Airbus's.
Isn't Republic even losing money (and if it wasn't for there contract flyng they'd really be in the red)? Virgina America hasn't made a dime yet. Comair is a feeder..... Stand alone airline would have been a joke, especially in the CVG market.
When Delta bought us only 45% of our traffic connected to Delta. We were purchased because we were looking to buy Spirit and expand. And as far as the strike. At least we showed some cojones. When has a Delta pilot EVER gone to the front of the line to fight for a contract? Never. Every NWA pilot on my JS thinks the The RD's are spoiled babies. The "hired, not aquired" stickers say it all.

A little bit of Comair history..Comair most certainly had CRJ's when Delta bought them..

Also before Delta's hostile takeover, Comair was intent on buying Spirit (I believe it was). They would have had a different start-up plan than say Indy Air..... Comair's stock was doing very well on it's own. They would have entered the "major" market well before 9/11 and well before Jetblue (how'd Jetblue work out?)

Hey General...weren't you the one who was spouting off about JB going bust after year 5 because they would have to start paying for the maintenance on the Bus? Howd that prediction work out.. In fact I haven't seen one prediction of yours come to fruition...

-Comair pilots got hired at Delta contrary to your opinion.

-Delta STILL hasn't gotten any scope back, there's still plenty of regional feed.

- Delta is not growing and they have seemed to halted their growth strategy for the moment..

Comair's hype came from Delta, not the other way around. Even if Comair had decided to go out on their own, CVG is not big enough or doesn't have enough O&D traffic to support two airlines. Why hasn't SWA or why didn't Airtran establish a hub there after DL pulled down capacity? PIT has a similar problem, even after USAir left, nobody has really filled in the gap.

Did Comair pilots get hired at Delta? Probably some related to senior Captains, but I haven't seen many others. Delta didn't get Scope back, but RJ scope is actually taking care of itself. Higher oil and pax backlash are helping to park many of the CRJ-50s (all of the CHQ E135s are gone too). A certain CEO has said numerous times in Quarterly reports to analysts that RJs are leaving the fleet in large numbers. The smaller RJs time has come and gone, and the larger airframes have quotas that just won't be added to. They just won't. Times are better, and no BK judge will be watching this time. That is the ONLY time in the last 10 years that you were given larger airframes (76 seaters), and NO additional planes were allowed during the Joint Contract with NWA, the last contract that was signed. It just won't happen.

Delta is not growing you say. Overall capacity is shrinking 4-5% this Fall, but numbers for next Spring and Summer haven't been finalized by Marketing. Most of the widebodies without lie flat seats and personal TVs will be getting them this Fall, and the perfect time to do that work is during the slower Fall season. Oil has come down to near $80 per barrel, and that will soften any slowdown in pax bookings, while still being too expensive for RJs. Throw in new Rest rules and hiring standards, and the Regionals just become too expensive. Mainline will be parking more DC9s this Fall/Winter, but there are 14 MD90s waiting for Mods in IND and GSO, waiting to replace them next Spring/Summer. Those pay more, and make more money, while being more efficient.

Did I really state JB would FAIL after 5 years? I bet I said it would be more expensive for them to operate without the mx cover from Airbus. They are an interesting airline that will probably be a target for aquisition soon from one of the Legacies. You just never know, but they sure do have a good hub system now in BOS and JFK, and we'll just have to watch where that goes.

As far as Comair goes, they sure are a shell of their former self. It's too bad their pilot leadership decided to get greedy and ask for more 70 seat RJs when DL pilots were starting to get furloughed. What a mistake. Oh well.....

Bye Bye---General Lee

When Delta bought us only 45% of our traffic connected to Delta. We were purchased because we were looking to buy Spirit and expand. And as far as the strike. At least we showed some cojones. When has a Delta pilot EVER gone to the front of the line to fight for a contract? Never. Every NWA pilot on my JS thinks the The RD's are spoiled babies. The "hired, not aquired" stickers say it all.

HAHHAHAHAHAHAHA. Condom Air, Delta Protection. You didn't see DL pilots picketing during contract negotiations in 2000? That produced the largest airline contract in history. If you think that alone caused the BK, then you don't know what happened. (Comair strike cost $1 billion)

I fly with a lot of FNWA guys on my Asia trips, and they all seem to be content with the merger, except some of the SLI stuff that arbitrators decided. Many things were improved in their lives thanks to the merger, and of course they will say whatever you want to hear on YOUR jumpseat. I bet you can't believe what has happened to your airline in the past couple years. CRAZY!

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
The General and his 5 or 6 alter egos is a fool and should be on everyone's blocked list. Obviously every idiot pilot knows Comair was the US launch customer of the CRJ 100 in 1992 so no the were not a turboprop operator when DAL bought them. Duh. And yes, it's also well known that CMR management openly discussed it's desire to buy Spirit or another startup flying "mainline" gauge aircraft. DAL bought CMR to kill them plain and simple. You would think that after 10,000+ posts and 10+ years here on the preeminent avaition chat board that idiot would have learned something about the industry, but no, he remains an embarrassment to all of is with his ignorance and insistence upon trolling the regionals and picking on the regional pilots.

Who cares who was the launch customer? Those planes were parked long ago. It's too bad Comair didn't buy Spirit or another airline, but had they done that, DL probably would have squashed them. And am I not allowed to comment on any part of this industry? If you want your own Regional board (wait, you said you were a DL pilot. Why are you on here? HMMMM. Looks like you are the idiot), go get your own. Picking on the regional pilots? I have stated what actually happened. Sounds like many "can't handle the truth."

Bye Bye---General Lee

Comair before Delta bought them was the most profitable ailrine in the US....

No, not really. Delta (in the early 90s) had so much cash that they had to get a poison pill via Swissair to protect themselves from a hostile takeover. I don't think Comair had as much cash as Delta did in the early 90s. Nah.

Bye Bye---General Lee

No, not really. Delta (in the early 90s) had so much cash that they had to get a poison pill via Swissair to protect themselves from a hostile takeover. I don't think Comair had as much cash as Delta did in the early 90s. Nah.

Bye Bye---General Lee

You probably sit at the computer with vaseline in one hand and ur Johnson in the other

Latest resources

Back