• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Comair Shrinking More And Faster?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yes, the strike did cost Delta a hunk of money but they were the cause of the strike in the first instance. They just thought that scum like Comair would never dare to strike the almighty Delta. Their "real" pilots never did, so why would they expect different from a collection of riff-raff? Turns out they were wrong. We will never know but, IMO, there would never have been a strike if DAL had not acquired CMR.

I'm sure they haven't forgotten it but that doesn't matter; they hated Comair's guts before they bought it and they still do.

Delta didn't buy Comair because they wanted it; they bought it to keep it from ever coming into its own. From that perspective, their plan was a success, all be it a very expensive one.

HAHAHAHAHA. Wait, let me get it straight. Delta bought Comair, at the time a commuter with Bandarantes and Shorts 360s, because they were scared of it? Riiiiiiiiight. Next. Had Delta not offered Comair the regional position in CVG as a Delta Connection, it would have gone up against someone else, and gotten smashed. It grew because of the relationship, and then bit the hand that fed it.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Just in case this hasn't been covered in an earlier post, someone emailed Ryan P. asking him to address this rumor. His response was that it was only a rumor and had no merit. He then listed what the block flight hours would be for next year at this time, which was consistant with what Delta, er, Comair had originally announced.

To: On Your Something and Gen. Lee: This is an annonymous web board. It is expected that over the course of ten thousand or so posts people might get an idea of the character and intellect of someone such as yourself. I have formed such an opinion. I suspect many others have as well.

To:Everyone else: Reading On Your Something's and Gen Lee's opinions here is like reading the comments at the end of internet news articles.
Nothing ruins one's faith in humanity faster than reading internet news article comments.

And you are? Nevermind, it doesn't matter.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Terminal Cancer?

I remember back in 2000 when many were cheering the fact that Delta had acquired Comair. In fact that was the day that Comair caught terminal cancer.

Delta Air Lines has consistently and deliberately destroyed Comair step by step from the day after they bought it. They just enjoy doing in slowly so that it will be more painful to those that remain.

Did you ever wonder why? Maybe, just maybe, this has to do with the long and costly strike, the 'industry leading contract", and the fact that Delta and other network carriers are hell bent on discouraging these types of behaviors?

Just wondering.

The latest: I heard from someone in ops last night that the number of aircraft that Comair will be operating at the end of 2012 has been revised upward by 5 airplanes to a total of 49. The five additional airplanes will be -200s. I don't remember the specific source, but it was credible. It wasn't SB.

The problem with Comair was that they wanted mainline wages, and Delta and the rest of the World saw them as FEED. OYS was right. You have to know your place in aviation, and Comair was never going to get the wages they demanded during their strike.

Bye Bye--General Lee

The problem with Comair was they were allowed to be bought out by Delta and slowly killed off instead of becoming the CVG version of Airtran and attacking Delta. Comair likely would have at worst been the CVG equal to Airtran, probably been even stronger, bigger, and much more damaging to Delta had they not been bought/squashed by Delta. Now thanks to SWA we will soon see if they bullied the correct startup.

What a shame, I remember I always wanted to go work for comair and when they wouldn't interview me back in 2005 It really bothered me.

The problem with Comair was they were allowed to be bought out by Delta and slowly killed off instead of becoming the CVG version of Airtran and attacking Delta. Comair likely would have at worst been the CVG equal to Airtran, probably been even stronger, bigger, and much more damaging to Delta had they not been bought/squashed by Delta. Now thanks to SWA we will soon see if they bullied the correct startup.

Yeah, just like Indy Air tried to grow and compete, and was smacked quickly. Some guys will never learn. Also, SWA took away a true LCC at ATL, and they themselves are now more like a legacy with costs. Thanks for that.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
Yeah, just like Indy Air tried to grow and compete, and was smacked quickly. Some guys will never learn. Also, SWA took away a true LCC at ATL, and they themselves are now more like a legacy with costs. Thanks for that.

Bye Bye---General Lee

I have to agree with General. CVG wouldn't even be close to a market to grow. Indy Air even had the Washington DC market and failed with 50 Seat RJ's and a hand full of Airbus's.
Isn't Republic even losing money (and if it wasn't for there contract flyng they'd really be in the red)? Virgina America hasn't made a dime yet. Comair is a feeder..... Stand alone airline would have been a joke, especially in the CVG market.

Moment of silence for Independence Air please...

Latest resources

Back