• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DAL New Hire Demographic

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was a check airman on my previous aircraft, 9000+TT, 4500 PIC in turbo prop or jet, BS in Aero Engineering (with 2 years working in aerospace), built my own airplane, 1 internal rec from senior DL captain I've known for 20 years, no tickets or incidents. No call. Go figure.

Cheers,
Scott

Gee, did I write you a letter?? Not one of my rec's got an interview. You many even have given me a line check! Keep trying, it really is a lottery. 3 years ago I applied with 9500tt, 6000 pic jet/turboprop, one internal rec from another newhire. Got the interview within 5 weeks and was in a class a few short weeks later. I went over my app at least a billion times to make sure there were no errors.

You have to remember how many off the street newhires we had this last time. My guess is around 150ish. That's not many spots for the amount of apps we had. Keep trying.

I suspect DALs degree requirement is a leftover from the days when major airline hiring was dominated by military applicants. Military FW pilots are almost exclusively commisioned officers and 99.9999999999999% of unrestricted commissioned officers have at LEAST a four year degree. So back in the day when most major airline pilots were prior military having a degree was a defacto requirement to be competitive because most of the people getting hired just happened to have one. It has since morphed into a requirement as a way to cull the herd of applicants.

To put this in perspective you need at least a 2 year degree and usually a four year degree to be competitive for a job as a fireman or cop. In most cases it isn't a requirement to apply, but the reality is most of the other applicants have at least an AA/AS in Fire Science or Criminal Science. Aviation is no different.

A four year degree is almost the same as a high school diploma of 30 years ago. You gotta have one.

Yep, and Delta will kick and scream to change this one. If you look at the degrees and skill sets of people five and six levels down from the top of flight ops, you were realize that Delta was the cream of the crop as they see it and a Bachelor degree is step one towards that "ideal" candidate.

Does it mean they lose good candidates, yes, I know a few, but they feel that even with that fact known it is a requirement for what they want for their piloting staff.

Come to my airline. They require no degree. The downside is you get what you pay for.....

CYA

There are some good people in class for Delta, they are the flow guys from Compass and MEsaba. I know the ONE non flow mesaba pilot that was hired was given so many breaks for breaking reserve rules, he was unprofessional how he treated schedulers and had low time. But it was a good thing he has some awesome contacts at Delta and his issues at Mesaba and breaking commuting rules were handled discretely. I have read some postings about ASA pilots complaining about the people they took from their pilot group that went to Delta. I try to judge people individually but with what is going on with Delta HR directing the hiring practices is not a good sign. Yes I am bitter the flow was pulled out from under me, I was given career expectations and then given a knife in the back. If Delta had kept the flow at Mesaba they would have been better for it, they would have gotten a amount of great people who have already proven themselves. Heck they could have even kept their "standards" and required a 4 year degree to flow.

I agree that you had the rug pulled from under you. But with that being said, it would have been great for Mesaba to have given me my job back after I flew for them for 5 years and then was furloughed at Northwest.

Expectations and a aviation career do not go hand in hand. Have a back up plan. I did and I did just fine.

No one owes me anything. Words to live by these days.

for some reason, Delta's big on college.

As is every single Fortune 500 company. If you expect to have a decent job then you have to have a college degree. A job with a major airline may not be what it once was, but it's still a good paying highly sought after job.

I was a check airman on my previous aircraft, 9000+TT, 4500 PIC in turbo prop or jet, BS in Aero Engineering (with 2 years working in aerospace), built my own airplane, 1 internal rec from senior DL captain I've known for 20 years, no tickets or incidents. No call. Go figure.

Cheers,
Scott
Maybe Delta doesn't appreciate your "I'm the bee's knees" attitude. I can't believe you are not an astronaut!!!!

1000 turbine pic is really the only hard time minimum. The rest is flexible... F-16 guy is competitive and may get on w/ 2000tt; the 2500tt hour civilian pilot with 1000 turbo prop pic probably isn't yet competitive.

1000 turbine pic is really the only hard time minimum. The rest is flexible... F-16 guy is competitive and may get on w/ 2000tt; the 2500tt hour civilian pilot with 1000 turbo prop pic probably isn't yet competitive.

1000 turbine PIC? Are you sure about that? I thought a couple Eagle FOs with no PIC got into a couple of the last classes? I don't think there is a PIC requirement. It might be helpful, but not a requirement.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest resources

Back