• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DAL New Hire Demographic

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I am a Check Airman, TT of 9000 PIC, 4k PIC all in JET. No college, no faa incidents or accidents, good letters of rec = zero calls.. Oh well, I'll just enjoy the regionals until someone is desperate enough to hire just a pilot, and not someone that has a B.S. in basket weaving :)

With a post like that...you need a college education.

No company wants 'just a pilot'. And if you have'nt figured that out... a little bit of night school might get you to where your educated friends already are.

fv

I am a Check Airman, TT of 9000 PIC, 4k PIC all in JET. No college, no faa incidents or accidents, good letters of rec = zero calls.. Oh well, I'll just enjoy the regionals until someone is desperate enough to hire just a pilot, and not someone that has a B.S. in basket weaving :)

I think you'll get something, it is just somewhat of a lottery right now. May be no one at Delta even saw your resume yet? It is possible with how many good ones they must have. It may just be as simple as that. If I applied I wouldn't like my chances of a call right now and I have 3000 PIC or so on an aircraft that they operate. They only have so many jobs openings to go around right now. You do need a touch of luck in all this as well.

Just think about how many things that you have tried to get over the years that didn't happen that now you look back on and think that you are glad they didn't happen. May be some place will call that you end up liking better than a potential delta career.

Here is my list of places that didn't call me that I am happy about so far:

North American
Frontier
Comair
America West
Astar
Miami Air
Continental

(not putting them down, company aside I like my particular crew base situation now better than what these places would have to offer)

Not having a BS/BA is a dealbreaker at DAL. It's not preferred, it's a requirement.

It's been that way for decades.

"Graduate of a four-year degree program from a college or university accredited by a recognized accredited organization
Degrees obtained from a non-U.S. institution must be evaluated for equivalency to U.S. degrees by a member organization of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES)
Postgraduate education will be given favorable consideration."

Not having a BS/BA is a dealbreaker at DAL. It's not preferred, it's a requirement.

It's been that way for decades.

"Graduate of a four-year degree program from a college or university accredited by a recognized accredited organization
Degrees obtained from a non-U.S. institution must be evaluated for equivalency to U.S. degrees by a member organization of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES)
Postgraduate education will be given favorable consideration."

Well if he doesn't have that then a call never would go out. May be his user name is his real name. Delta might not want someone that once held John Candy at gun point.

No degree, no call. It is that simple here at Delta. Read the min quals for them to look at any applicant. An Accredited Bachelors degree is a min. Many have post graduate work or degrees.

Sucky or not it is the way Ma Delta does it.

Delta does not favor any type of person. They hire those that meet their qualifications, not min quals mind you but what they deem will be the best, employee, pilot, and ambassador for their corporation.

From what I can tell, they like big picture, pragmatic individuals. Contrary to what people think, 99% of the pilots here at DAL are just that, as well as personable. I enjoy every person whom I share a cockpit with.

I'll echo what ACL said. I've been on the property 3 years and this is my third airline. I have yet to come across a "5%-er" here (as in every airline pilot seniority list has a few mean-spirited, horse's ases.) That's not to say there aren't any, but I have yet to come across one. At my two previous gigs (ACA and World) they were more prevalent -- not in abundance -- but they were there.

Very rarely do people slam-click here. We enjoy each other's company, enjoy great layovers and generally have a blast. No other job I've ever had -- aviation or non-aviation -- even comes close to the amount of job satisfaction and enjoyment I experience here. The conversations are as varied as the backgrounds. Despite the variation there is a common trait amongst the pilot corps here -- we're all pretty much nice people who would do anything for a fellow pilot, and almost anything to accomplish the mission (short of violating FAR's/FOM/PWA.)

Unfortunately they only have a day or two to really get to know you at the interview, and I know a few really great people who were turned down. That is the limitation on the selection process.

But at the end of the day -- despite this limitation -- I think they do as near a perfect job in the selection process as is possible. (After all, they hired me ;))

Last edited:

for some reason, Delta's big on college.

I was a check airman on my previous aircraft, 9000+TT, 4500 PIC in turbo prop or jet, BS in Aero Engineering (with 2 years working in aerospace), built my own airplane, 1 internal rec from senior DL captain I've known for 20 years, no tickets or incidents. No call. Go figure.

Cheers,
Scott

for some reason, Delta's big on college.

Not to be that guy, but UND's Dean of Aviation was Delta's director of training and he has a PH.D. For what its worth, when he would sit in for our prof. he would preach education and talk about how important education was to large companies like DELTA.

Latest resources

Back