• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest Blasts Revised Slot Deal

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Fair enough, but first, we need to establish a price point....anybody got an idea what Delta and USAir paid for these slots in the first place???

That has nothing to do with the
market value.

Sw can buy as many slots as they
want at the Market Value.

The Market Value is the price that
another airline will sell the slots for.

Could of had the F9 slots if you
hadn't tried to avoid a fair
seniority list arbitration.

Does Southwest still have a large operation out of Islip? I know nothing about how far some one is willing to drive in NY but would additional LGA slots take away from ISP?

My neighbors drive 2 hours from ATL to BHM to fly Southwest.

That has nothing to do with the
market value.

Sw can buy as many slots as they
want at the Market Value.

The Market Value is the price that
another airline will sell the slots for.

Could of had the F9 slots if you
hadn't tried to avoid a fair
seniority list arbitration.

Kwick

If you want to slam SW at least get your facts straight. The only seniority position F9 took was one of "relative seniority" where their #1 would have become our #2, etc. They never got off that position. They never had any intention of reaching a fair solution.

kwick,

What CEO would follow what the pilot group wanted in seniority integration anyway? If SWA wanted F9, they would have got them regardless what SWAPA said. Kelly works for the stockholders and what is best for SWA, not SWAPA. Did F9 have to repay the loan from Republic, or did they forgive it putting them in a less favorable cash position?

Wow. And here I thought this was a thread regarding slot swap. Imagine my surprise when it degraded into a SWA v F9 thread. Shocker!

"Allowing two of the country's largest airlines to collude on trading assets in a way to reduce competition while dramatically increasing their market dominance at two of the United States' most important airports is, on its face, an alarming prospect that should not be permitted," Southwest said.

But if there is to be a deal, Southwest said, it should get some slots too. It said that to ensure effective low-fare competition, regulators should require divestiture of least 40 slot pairs at LaGuardia and 20 at National, equating to less than 8% of the slots at each airport. If Southwest were to acquire 20 slot pairs at LaGuardia and 14 slots at National, the annual savings generated in comparison to the incumbents' fares would be $84 million at LaGuardia and $109 million at National, the carrier said.

Is it me, or are these guys the biggest bunch of wheenies around? Give me a break. Go out and buy your own assets WHEN THEY BECOME AVAILABLE, like DL and USAir Did. You were around 20 years ago, when DCA had slot sales etc, but you CHOSE not to buy back then. Too bad. Time for you guys to buy some pizzas for Tower Controllers, or give FAA inspectors free type ratings.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Maybe the DOT can say they need to sell some of their slots (even though I think that's not right), but these slots belong to US Airways and Delta. It's THEIR slots, they should be able to sell them to whomever they want...

Actually its the PA NY/NJ slots. THEY can do whatever they want with it. The simple fact that older, government subsidized legacy carriers shouldn't factor in a "free" market.

Rightfully so. The other carriers have been serving LGA a lot longer than Southwest. It takes years to get slots and sustain an operation in LGA, not months. Southwest should not get special treatment just because it's Southwest. The airport is over-congested. It does not need new airlines expanding there.

Stop flying commuter jets into LGA. Nothing smaller then a DC-9-30 or B737-500. To many regional jets....its a joke, why waste a slot on that?

Latest resources

Back