Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LXApilot

Owes More Than He Makes
I have a friend who recently was wrongfully terminated from Colgan. If you or anyone you know has recently been subjected to wrongful termination or has strange circumstances regarding their termination from Colgan then my friend and his attorneys would like to hear from you. PM me for details.

All my best.

Was he one of the folks who called in fatigued and posted he was hung over on his unsecured facebook account at the same time?

Also, your buddy should be talking to his ALPA reps. They have some pretty involved people at Colgan.

What did you buddy do?
I'd question the lawyer who wants to talk to people from FI.com who have been "wrongfuly" terminated.
Now that they're ALPA, your friends now will NEVER get his job back. ALPA is just another set of management......in sheep clothing.

Most people I know that have been fired from airlines(hell any job really) feel that they were "wrongly terminated". Most of the things they say they did that got them terminated were either A. the straw that broke the camels back, yet they dont tell you about the beating they gave the camel or B. something so ********************ed up you wonder why they dont realize how wrong they were and it was a good thing they ONLY got fired.

Nobody fired from any job is ever going to feel it was the right thing to do.

Oh and tell your buddy its only Colgan, the rest of the airline industry knows what a ******************** bag mgmt team that place has and will usually at least listen to the story before drawing any conclusions or automatically denying somebody a job. Just like when I tried to get my buddy, who had been fired from training at TSA, a job at XJT and talked to one of the guys on the interview board and told him the story. The guys response was something like, "eh if somebody comes from TSA and was fired because they failed training, we dont take that against them, their training program is ********************ed up". My buddy got hired and passed training at XJT without any problems.

Last edited:
Just like when I tried to get my buddy, who had been fired from training at TSA, a job at XJT and talked to one of the guys on the interview board and told him the story. The guys response was something like, "eh if somebody comes from TSA and was fired because they failed training, we dont take that against them, their training program is ********************ed up".

No it's your buddy that is ********************ed up. TSA training is very easy but it's not for people that have a thin skin because they do push you. It's a fricking ERJ, AUTO and FADEC. How hard can they make it??? The problem is TSA didn't have that great of a pool to draw from and they did not necessairly want to pass them at all costs, hence the reputation of hard training.

Last edited:
so spill the beans on your "buddy" - what did you. . .er your "buddy" do to get fired. You know the saying, where there's smoke. . . Also how did you get the number for the attorney from the Simpsons - I thought ALPA had him on permanent retainer.

When I was at Colgan, I was threatened "disiplinary action" if I didn't rent a car without them supplying insurance on the rental since my deadhead flight was cancelled. Did I mention it was a drive between Allentown, Pa and LaGuardia at rush hour on a Friday. I was forced to do the drive and upon arriving in NY was told they covered the flight and go back to Allentown. I had no choice in the matter. I would have had disiplinary action or been on the scheduling "naughty list". This was prior to being unionized, but I think many folks do not understand the threats and actions Colgan used to get a flight completed. They threatened me to fly a plane with engine anti-ice inop into known icing. The Duty officer in dispatch told me that since the metar was showing scattered clouds I could legally do it. He said that the TAF didn't matter. Even though Albany was forcast 2000' overcast for the entire TAF period. I had to argue for 30 minutes and reluctantly they took me off the turn. I can tell you that their aggressive threats were successful on getting another pilot to eventually fly it. Did they ever fire me....no. But if I was an idiot, and they told me something was legal and I took the bait, they would self disclose and I lose my job. ALPA may su*k, but many have no idea to the extent a non-union airline will be unsafe. Unsafe at the expense of the pilot.

Be careful when suing an airline for wrongful termination. We had a guy at CommutAir do that and inthe final ruling, in favor of the company, the judge stated that allowing Mr. X to continue to fly as a crew member put CommutAir passengers and employees at an unacceptable risk of "catastrophe". This ruling is a matter of public record and anyone wanting to research his background could find the entire court case, all of the evidence, and the ruling. He was offered the chance to resign and did not take it.

The point being that if the company wants you gone, you are gone. Take the easiest way out. Colgan may be a rotten company, but you can bet they have a lot more money for attorneys and could probably produce a mountain of paperwork to back up their firing if they needed to. Seems like a lot of work and very high risk for relatively small reward.

PS- The guy at CommutAir was a VERY scary pilot.

Latest resources

Back