• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

You're hired vs. you're not

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Who a company hires has a direct correlation to salary.

The companies that pay pilots low wages are more likely to hire based on if you have a pulse.

The companies that pay their pilots high wages seem to be extremely picky.

Honestly there seems to be no no rhyme or reason to who they hire. I've seen the most personable, easy going, smart, pilots who posses amazing flying skills, leadership qualities and integrity not get hired by desirable companies such as SWA or FEDEX.
Then there are guys who somehow slip through the cracks with felony DWI's, violations, failed checkrides, etc who get hired with very desirable companies. Some of these guys are alcoholics, have the personality of a wet mop, can't make a decision to save their life and seem to have never flown an ILS.

I think it boils down to who the person is that's making the hiring decision that day, what mood that person is in and how well you are able to fool them into thinking you're a guy they can spend the month with. Just play their game, jump through their hoops. If you do everything right, hopefully they'll like you enough to hire you.

someone posted somewhere that US Air is hiring, holy crap when you get hired there its regional rates for years on the FO pay scale.

Getting hired today is all about finding a "niche" to fill. Ex military, minority, uncle is a politition, etc. If you don't fill a niche then you have to be a superhero.

When I went to my interview at "good ole Southwestern Trailways" I engaged in conversation with the other applicants while waiting for my turn, smiled alot, ran to open doors for the weak and addled, made eye contact and included all (interviewers and HR trainees) with my responses. I talked to employees during our lunch break and was constantly asking questions during our tour of the facilities. I spoke highly of teamwork and that it really does "take a village" to succeed at everything in life. I emanated the "servants heart" SWA was looking for! But what it really came down to was something I learned from my wife...I lied my a$$ off and can fake anything for 20 minutes a pop!

Dolce

Latest resources

Back