Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

WSJ article - Airlines Fact Acute Shortage of Pilots (yes Kit Darby is in it)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why not? What restricts a US citizen to be based outside the US? Atlas had a base in London Stansted, I think. CX has bases in the US.

You are correct, UAL had a London crew base, PanAm Germany, HA in Athens Greece, I think FedEx in the Phiippines.
Very easy to find pilots at a U.S. carrier that would jump at the chance to live overseas for awhile.

There will not be a shortage for long if it even happens.

Increases in costs and reduction in demand will create severe economic problems for the airlines soon! This will force airlines to reduce capacity....

case in point, when recently hired on to Hawaiian, they interviewed some 120 people a month in groups of about 30-40 a week.... Of that they took about 8-9 to make that months class.... so that's less than 1 in 10 of those interviewed, not to mention the hundreds who didn't even get the call to interview..

Of the group I saw, the vast majority were VERY experienced, military and civilian background with well over minimum requirements...

shortage?

ha..

Kit Darby, Roger Cohen, Dan Garton, Scott F'ing Foose, Dave Barger, I'd be ashamed to be associated with the likes of those A-holes quoted in this article.

That said, I sincerely hope there is at least ONE actual pilot shortage during my 40-year (potential) career - just to see what happens. Either the abysmal pay at the regionals gets increased, or the above listed jagoffs manage to force the adoption of a MPL license in the US. Either way, I hope I'm above the fray.

"Show me the moneeeeyyyyy!!"

... only a shortage of pilots willing to work at a "less than desirable" place.

I think I am finally buying it. The combination of ATP + majors retirements will be significant. I just hope that it doesn't grease the skids of cabotage.
Thank you as posted in 2009, this is the coming 2012 hiring boom and it will be a big as 1965. And like in 1965 the lack of a college degree will not be a show stopper. TJ PIC will the resume fluff of those getting hired. But without the regionals, where does someone get TJ PIC? So kids skip college start flying get that 1500 hour by the time you are 21 years old in 2015 and you be in the front of the line for the future airline jobs.

Last edited:
Thank you as posted in 2009, this is the coming 2012 hiring boom and it will be a big as 1965. And like in 1965 the lack of a college degree will not be a show stopper. TJ PIC will the resume fluff of those getting hired. But without the regionals, where does someone get TJ PIC? So kids skip college start flying get that 1500 hour by the time you are 21 years old in 2015 and you be in the front of the line for the future airline jobs.
At a Regional.

Fixed it for you. ;)

Umm, regional pilot here... if a major offered me a job and a base in Paris, London, Dublin, etc... (anywhere in Europe) I'd jump at it! No thanks to the Middle East and Asia, but Europe? I'm on board

Umm, regional pilot here... if a major offered me a job and a base in Paris, London, Dublin, etc... (anywhere in Europe) I'd jump at it! No thanks to the Middle East and Asia, but Europe? I'm on board

That right there. I'd move to Europe to get out of regional hell, especially with the option to bid back to the US down the road when seniority can hold it. However I'm not so excited about moving to Dubai, for example, with no current path back to the US if I get tired of the sand box.

At a Regional.

Fixed it for you. ;)
to start with, but after this 21 year old has flown for two years, he will have over 1500 hours of ME TJ time, completing with the college grad with no ME TJ time. The 1500 rule will drive the hiring of the experienced non-college grad at every level. Too bad it not 1978 again

brilliant!

and very true...
again only time will tell, but the 2012 hirng boom is underway

Latest resources

Back