Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

WSJ article - Airlines Fact Acute Shortage of Pilots (yes Kit Darby is in it)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think I am finally buying it. The combination of ATP + majors retirements will be significant. I just hope that it doesn't grease the skids of cabotage.

I think I am finally buying it. The combination of ATP + majors retirements will be significant. I just hope that it doesn't grease the skids of cabotage.

Ding ding! This shortage is no surprise and we can all see it coming. My paranoia says that this is a perfect storm created by the airlines/government to allow for foreign ownership and cabotage changes.

Won't be cabatoge, it will be pilot bases outside conus. Think about it, announce hiring for your pilot base in England or Brazil, who applies? Not a US citizen...

Won't be cabatoge, it will be pilot bases outside conus. Think about it, announce hiring for your pilot base in England or Brazil, who applies? Not a US citizen...
Not for Major U.S. airlines... EVERY Major/Legacy CBA has a restriction against pilots flying company planes and not being on the seniority list.

I'm more concerned about the relaxation in cabotage, that is, allowing point-to-point flying inside the CONUS by foreign airlines. We give that one up and we're screwed. Trans-con flights connecting to Int'l flights and the bread and butter of our airlines is GONE.

That's been under attack for a long, long time. We all need to contribute to your PAC (ALPA-PAC or CAPA-PAC) in anticipation for the upcoming battle as retirements eclipse pilot availability at the Regionals to make sure the eventual Congressional and Senatorial hearings on the issue VERY CLEARLY point out that it's not, and never will be, a shortage at the Major level, but rather the minimum-wage paying Regional jobs and that the majority of feed amongst our larger cities will go on as-scheduled and without impact.

There's just not going to be a shortage at our level but yes, I expect things to get really, really tight at the Regionals starting around 2018-2020. Assuming the world doesn't end in 31 days. ;)

There will never be a shortage of pilots.... just cheap (Pilotyip) type pilots...

period, full stop, exclamation point, etc.

Why not? What restricts a US citizen to be based outside the US? Atlas had a base in London Stansted, I think. CX has bases in the US.

There will not be a shortage for long if it even happens.

Increases in costs and reduction in demand will create severe economic problems for the airlines soon! This will force airlines to reduce capacity....

There are so many thousands of qualified pilots able to fill the ranks, but don't let that get in the way of sensationalism.

Latest resources

Back