Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CopilotDoug

Captain of Industry
Why didn't this airplane catch on here in the states? I don't know anything about it aside from being fast for a turbo-prop.

Good question.

I'm wondering how AWAC & PSA feel about getting rid of all theirs after 9/11, given what fuel costs these days. All the AWAC guys I've flown with that were on the Dornier do nothing but sing its praises, and all prefer it to the CRJ.

I believe that Fairchild Dornier went Bankrupt, or what they call in Europe 'insolvency' under German Law.
So I believe getting parts to fly that many airplanes was almost impossible!

I am sure there's other people that can answer it more correctly! I know that the Jet version was a big flop!

328 Prop was a very nice looking Plane!

Unfortunate timing on an excellent aircraft. SNS from regional management. The 328 and Dash 8 are probably the best "RJ's" out there, but all of the regional's management were in a race to be all jet ( much at the prodding of their major partners).

Hey Chest,

Is that Mick Mars from Motley Crue in your avatar???

I know there are a few still floating around as corporate shuttles. One I know of is owned by Corning Glass in NY. You can catch it running in and out of Newark during the week. Nice looking aircraft.

If the 328 prop was anything like its sibling, the 328Jet, it was a good airplane with a slew of maintenance issues....not just a handful of recurring problems but like 20-25 things that broke on an all too regular basis.

I believe Horizon had a big fleet of 328props - I also recall hearing that their 328 props did not have APUs and had a bunch of mx issues.

The 328 prop didn't catch on because it was a jet prop(270k) flying in lines of proppy props (200-220k) during departures, cruise, and especially arrivals. (Assigned 200k from 150 miles out) I remember CLT used to assign us 150 kts in the climb, normal was 200(company) 220(line pilots). The plane was awesome and the MX was minmal after the first 2-3 years. In the US it could not be turned loose to do what is was designed for (300nm missions). US Air scheduled it for little 15 minute flights. About the same time all the other regionals changed over to RJs for their similar routes. That was the wrong time for this plane, thus the 328jet. The 328jet wasn't really at jet performance level though. Max V still at 270kt.

Take a look at Vision in North Las Vegas. They run 'em in the Canyon and I believe they have essential air. Also, they have a couple of the jets parked on the ramp.

Latest resources

Back