• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why No Dork328 Turbo-Props?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The 328 prop didn't catch on because it was a jet prop(270k) flying in lines of proppy props (200-220k) during departures, cruise, and especially arrivals. (Assigned 200k from 150 miles out) I remember CLT used to assign us 150 kts in the climb, normal was 200(company) 220(line pilots). The plane was awesome and the MX was minmal after the first 2-3 years. In the US it could not be turned loose to do what is was designed for (300nm missions). US Air scheduled it for little 15 minute flights. About the same time all the other regionals changed over to RJs for their similar routes. That was the wrong time for this plane, thus the 328jet. The 328jet wasn't really at jet performance level though. Max V still at 270kt.

True! You can only go so fast with a straight wing design! The 328Jet when flying over 30k was about 100 knots slower then everyone else! Drove the controllers crazy!

You are right the 328 Prop was designed for longer segment flights! You saw a big decrease in mx issues when it was used like it was suppose to be.

With fuel cost going back up, you might see an increase in TurboProp airplanes.... Hard to beat some of the Q400's abilities! 360kts, 72 pax and burns 30% less fuel then Regional Jets.

Dork was a sweet plane. I still remember the first time I jumpseated on a PSA Dork, and was blown away by the glass cockpit! I kinda miss seeing that thing sitting in CLT.

I believe that Fairchild Dornier went Bankrupt, or what they call in Europe 'insolvency' under German Law.
So I believe getting parts to fly that many airplanes was almost impossible!

I am sure there's other people that can answer it more correctly! I know that the Jet version was a big flop!

328 Prop was a very nice looking Plane!

Parts were a costly problem even before the insolvency, and after it was worse. 85% of the parts were specific to the Dornier and with less than 150 turbo props built instead of the 400 projected by Dornier the production lines for the specific parts, Props, 1VE pannel, and non honneywell items were costly and difficult to have serviced. As for day to day operations very little MX, but when you would have a PACK go down, if they had one on hand two hours and you were back in the air, if MX had to get one fixed.............. Had to re mel an mel once or twice.

As Flyin2low said it was a hot rod that was forced to stay in the slow lane. It always seemed that the PIT and DCA controllers would let it do it's thing.

:beer:

True! You can only go so fast with a straight wing design! The 328Jet when flying over 30k was about 100 knots slower then everyone else! Drove the controllers crazy!

You are right the 328 Prop was designed for longer segment flights! You saw a big decrease in mx issues when it was used like it was suppose to be.

With fuel cost going back up, you might see an increase in TurboProp airplanes.... Hard to beat some of the Q400's abilities! 360kts, 72 pax and burns 30% less fuel then Regional Jets.

Dork was a sweet plane. I still remember the first time I jumpseated on a PSA Dork, and was blown away by the glass cockpit! I kinda miss seeing that thing sitting in CLT.

The 300kt/.66 speed limit didn't as much to do with the straight wing as it did with the tail section. It's all comoposite back there. Fairchild did some of our initial training for us. According to them, the wing can go into the mid .7's before any sign of buffet. But if you turned the aircraft at those speeds, it would rip the whole tail section off.

Besides, that plane's slow cruise speed didn't mean jack when operating in the busy North East. When the controller tell you to pull it back to slowest possible for flow into LGA, BOS, PHL, ect, it doesn't matter if you can go .78/.80/.85.

Last edited:
Loved flying that thing for PSA. Don't remember too many maintenance issues. Sure hated seeing one of those AWAC tail numbers though because of no APU.

Bad timing for a great plane. If I remember my numbers right, Dornier needed to sell around 150 of them to break even on the R & D costs and ended up selling around 95 to 100. Stupid RJ came and ruined the 328 among other things.

The 328 prop didn't catch on because it was a jet prop(270k) flying in lines of proppy props (200-220k) during departures, cruise, and especially arrivals.

Proppy props! I love it!

I wonder if anybody will every try to make a "jet" prop again...

Skyway 328

I hear Skyway (the airline) is buying 328 jets. They called me for an interview. The source had a reliable source. :) She said a year or two to get off the 1900 and upgrade to the jet.

Latest resources

Back