Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why hire military over your competition?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks friend bro
I'm sure you speak from vast experience in the civilian world so....
Fly safe yourself

I would put many civilian flight schools on par with any training, including military
name me one civilian school that starts in turbine equipment? Name one where at 250 you have 200 hours of TJ time? Name one that has a screening exam that one in five passes? Name one where the average ACT score is close to 29? Civilian schools are a pay your fee get your B outfits/ Fail a phase check, get more training, try again. In the military school final phase go to the student pilots disposition board

Interesting bit here from "Flying The Line 2" about the 1985 UAL Strike. There's a bit of discussion on UAL's hiring practices through the 60's and 70's and specifically how UAL was seeking a "placidity factor" in their pilots. Major airlines aren't simply hiring a pilot for a stint, once you're off probation you're basically theirs until you retire.

Perhaps some of what UAL sought in the past, is what airlines still seek today for their pilot employees.

http://www.alpa.org/publications/Flying_The_Line_II/FTL2Chapter15.html

When Flying the Line Volume III is written, there will be at least three chapters about the East pilots in the US/AWA merger and LOA 93.

"Wave" has a point. Airlines aren't looking for superior training or skill with military trained pilots and certainly not applicable experience. There looking for obedient servants. The downside is we seem to have to re-invent windshear and icing every few years. I'll bet that with that regional background, Wave can do a circle to land NDB approach on one engine while doing the crossword. You might want to knock his "Cessna training" but I've flown with a lot of these commuter pilots. I could never fault their flying skills or experience.

" There looking for obedient servants.

and pilots coming from any background are not obedient servants to a the GOM, Op Specs, FARs, DO, CP, and the union contract?

and pilots coming from any background are not obedient servants to a the GOM, Op Specs, FARs, DO, CP, and the union contract?

Not accepting status quo as gospel. Small acts of defiance. Like just exercising a vote of choice. Pushing against managements advances which serves to create an imbalance in a work/employee environment. Some, not all military guys have an I trust my leadership too much mentality.

name me one civilian school that starts in turbine equipment? Name one where at 250 you have 200 hours of TJ time? Name one that has a screening exam that one in five passes? Name one where the average ACT score is close to 29? Civilian schools are a pay your fee get your B outfits/ Fail a phase check, get more training, try again. In the military school final phase go to the student pilots disposition board

If you'd been paying attention yip, you'd know that I already mentioned this. It's actually illegal for a pilot to fly 121 with less than an ATP- and most turbine time is wrapped up in 121 today. Even the old 1900 and metro liner operators got pressed into becoming 121- and now ANOTHER ARTIFICIAL BARRIER to that turbine time is up- (as if flight instructing for that much longer will make the step up to turbine easier for any pilot- all it does is make the career harder for the civilian)
As far as primary training- is your argument that flying a turbine is more challenging than a light recip? Does more for a new pilot?
More powerful yes, but turbines are also a lot more reliable and you have enough power and control to get yourself out of anything- I don't disrespect my light airplane experience when it came to developing my judgement and abilities.
Besides, I've never argued that a pilot go straight to the majors with no turbine experience. That's more ridiculous than a fighter guy going straight to the majors.
So if a pilot went to Arizona state (somehow survived flight school with all those girls) and did well in the Lufthansa program they don't have a great foundation in your view?
North Dakota is just pay to play? So is FIT? Spartan? The old Comair academy? Even riddle? Those weren't good tough programs that wouldn't fail pilots?
It is true that if you can finance it, you'll get more opportunities to keep flying- but what on earth is so wrong with that in a capitalistic world? You still have to complete the work and are evaluated at every step. Isn't one of the big kernel qualities the pilot who still flies every leg like he's competing with you? I have no problem with a pilot who took their time on their training and eventually got it down. And usually the only reason they'll let a weak student keep going is bc instructors need that flight time anyway. Why turn them down? The only time that's ever frustrating is when it's daddy keeping the money flowing, but for most of us, financing flight school is one of the biggest obstacles to the career. Loans in my day were very hard to get, so I had tons of pressure to complete under budget. But by your argument, no educational program could be any good bc you pay for it??? I had no idea that Stanford and MIT are now easy to graduate from bc their students pay so much money for them.

What I've said is BS is a fighter guy coming in with 2000 hours and that fighter time ACTUALLY adjusted UP to artificially make them more qualified, when a civilian has to have 6000-10000 hours in transport category 121 airplanes for the same opportunity. And they've been actually doing the job THEYRE BEING HIRED TO DO
How do you argue that yip? How is that not discrimination?

I've said it before, every mil pilot ought to have to fly in the regionals for a year before they get on with a major.
It should be an industry standard qualification. And fighter guys ought to have 2.

Last edited:
So let me ask you- ever been through the Phoenix base?
Is it possible that you can't see the military attitude and polarization that you don't like, because the main perpetrators treat you with more respect bc of your background?
Think that's possible?

Of course I have. There's obviously a lot of former AF guys there, F-16-ers from the Luke area. And while there is a lot of them there, I don't think a lot of them are still carrying the "military attitude and polarization" that you think. I spent my first nearly 7 years there as an F/O, and there was only two or three former AF captains that I flew with who still seemed to think they were still in the military. And I agree that's not a whole lot of fun; anymore than the two civilian-trained captains in PHX that treated me like sh1t, just because I had been former military.

Also, air tran hired a lot more civilian pilots than military. If SWA is now hiring more military than civilian to even it out, would that be acceptable to you?

Do you think that would be right?

No, of course not. I've never said that. They should hire whoever's qualified, and more importantly, whoever has a good attitude--whether that comes from the military or civilian world. I couldn't really give less of a crap where a pilot comes from, as long as they fit in this world.

Btw, I have never said that civilian training is better. I would put many civilian flight schools on par with any training, including military, as well as many 121 training departments as pilots make that step to turbine aircraft. But it isn't about training for me. It's experience.
Answer this, why do civilian pilots need 2-4 TIMES the amount of flight time, when they're flight time is the most applicable?

Argue that for me? Justify it?

Actually, you HAVE argued that civilian training and experience is better, even claiming Cessna experience as equivalent to military, as if that kind of Part 91 has anything to do with the kind of flying we do now.

And I agree that it's experience that counts. And that's why essentially every pilot employer out there counts the first 1000-1500 hours of military as "better," or more applicable than the first 1000-1500 hours of civilian time. Military guys are gaining experience in turbines, multi-engines, high altitude, multi-controller environment, and real cross-country, not to mention international experience, in that first 1000hrs. Not so much your average civilian-trained. Although, as I've said, certainly after that period, both guys are gaining valuable experience.

And please, not with the 121 stuff again. It's not the big deal that you want to make it. Literally within 2-3 months in the right seat, the 121 rules are ingrained just like every other set of rules a pilot may have learned. It's the experience flying, running procedures, working airports, weather, ATC issues and irregular ops that matters. And that all comes from time in a seat, and not whether or not you're used to working with rampers, ops agents and passengers.

And I'm not sure I believe your comparison that a civilian guy needs "2-4 times" the flight experience (and you keep making that number larger and larger every time you argue--later on you even equate 2000 mil hours to 10,000 civ hours). I don't believe it's compared with anywhere near that big of a difference. Especially even after you note that the first 1000 hours of civilian time in part 91 Cessnas bears nearly zero applicability to what we do now, compared to the first 1000 hours of military.

Whatever.

Why do you even care so much? Who cares who the company wants to hire, as long as they're behind you on the seniority list? Who cares what they did before, as long as they can do the job now with a good attitude? You really do seem to have a chip on your shoulder about this, and I can't figure out why. We still have much more than half trained the way you think they should be trained; isn't that good enough? :)

Bubba

Not accepting status quo as gospel. Small acts of defiance. Like just exercising a vote of choice. Pushing against managements advances which serves to create an imbalance in a work/employee environment. Some, not all military guys have an I trust my leadership too much mentality.
yea you may have point, the service guys are into service, it is part of their cult. Something about service to their country that draws they into the service. It is about what they gave give, and not upon what they can take.

If you'd been paying attention yip, you'd know that I already mentioned this. It's actually illegal for a pilot to fly 121 with less than an ATP-.
Sure I am paying attention and I know that you need an ATP to fly 121. But also other industry knows that a military pilot is so superior to a civilian training even with a college degree, that they allow the milady trained pilot to get an ATP with 750 hour. Quality of flight time counts with the industry.

Last edited:
I've said it before, every mil pilot ought to have to fly in the regionals for a year before they get on with a major.
It should be an industry standard qualification. And fighter guys ought to have 2.

Yes, you have said it--many times. However, have you noticed that absolutely nobody who has a hand in hiring at the majors agrees with your assessment? Wonder why...

Now I agree it would be hard, and probably not a good idea, to go straight from a military cockpit to the left seat, but that's not an issue for the majors. They all start in the right seat, and after a few months there, the 121 stuff is literally no... big... deal. Stop acting like that's the be-all, end-all of making a competent pilot.

Bubba

Latest resources

Back