• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why are passengers rude to pilots?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Nobody has mentioned the obvious solution: we go back to being way overpaid and underworked so their stereotype impression is at justified. :)

man, one time i was in the middle of my post flight and I hear someone yelling "HEY!" so I look up and he yells "Wheres my bag!!?"

I am like dude, i don't even speak to people i don't like in that tone. wtf?

I don't think this is limited to just the airport. Look around in your everyday life. People are just rude and demanding in general. Custumer service, bad day, traffic commute, I have know idea why or how. It is just what I see.

Tru dat. Also it's not just pilots who get the stupid question. Having worked customer service for a few airlines before I can tell you first hand that they get bombarded in the terminal grabbing grub, throwing a wizz, or trying to get the hookup from the dollar rent a car girl. I think the pilot uniform even with the earbuds and backpack is a more noticeable uniform than your gate agents, or bag smashers, or even the chick at the duty free. my 2 cents eh?

Slomo' s Avtar!

Over 2 hours go by and only one person comments on Slomo's avtar, fellas, you need to take a break and research what is really important on this thread.

Slomo niiiiiice avtar. If I didn't tell you before. Nice avtar.

NTS

I say just fcuk em. Treat em like the self-loading freight they are. Pay $100 for a ticket and expect to be treated like a passenger on the Queen Mary.

What is all this bad attitude going on?? Isn't this all part of the glamour most of you signed up for?

IMHO - Be a Professional Pilot, when interrupted by a rude passenger, do the best you can to help them with a smile and a kind word. We might not know where their flight leaves from, but we probably know where the information can be found.

Often passengers are running late due to no fault of their own and their stress is a normal reaction - after all we will leave them at the gate if they don't connect in time. If I can help someone with my ALPA pin and bag tags in plain view, I hope that passenger goes away with a better impression of airline pilots and of our association.

I once heard a senior US Attorney (two levels from the President of the US) relate a story how as a child she got lost at CVG and a Delta Pilot helped her find her way back to her father. This made enough of an impression on her that she still talks about it 28 years later and candidly, she holds Delta pilots on a pedestal as a result to this day.

After all, take a deep breath, forget all the Reguest for Proposal garbage for a second and enjoy smiling back at the kids that smile at you. They go back and draw pictures that they want to be airline pilots some day. Our percentages against Firemen have fallen in recent years and darned it, this is a better job that going into a burning meth lab, or an apartment complex engulfed in flames at 02:30 in the morning.

Even the backpacker pilots with the ear buds have the newest Ipod'o'Treo with WiFi. Show off that internet connection. Starbucs has free wireless and every airline (except for AirTran :() has a site where you can get current flight & gate info. These are our customers who pay for those jets we get to scoot around in. Go ahead and hate airline management for the stupid schedules and lousy service that get these people so jacked up to begin with, but don't hate the customer.

You sir are 100% correct.

Anyone know the address of the guy that invented the Cockpit Door?

I would love to send him a Christmas card every year for the rest of my life.

Dont be an ass, remember they are the ones that pay your paychecks. How long does it take to give them the answer they want? Not like they want an essay. They just want to know where baggage claim is etc. They found someone in uniform thats about all they look for.

Latest resources

Back