• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why are passengers rude to pilots?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you feel slighted when a passenger asks you a question and doesn't offer thanks, just make sure to say "You're Welcome" regardless and go about your business.

All of us are airline employees, representing our regional carrier and the mainline partner. Yes there might be alot of stupid/rude pax out there, but there is an equal percentage of stupid/rude pilots. Just because a passenger isn't 100% courteous to you doesn't mean you should stop being that way to them.

What ever happened to simple professionalism in this industry? Oh yeah, the "its not my job" syndrome and "I'm not paid enough to _________, you get what you paid for" disease.:rolleyes:

Given the state of this industry, wouldn't that be child abuse? Better to get that idea out of their heads now...

Now that is funny....and so true.

Pennekamp is on the money too. I try to be polite and helpful, but by and large this profession has lost the majority of the respect it once had. Luckily, I'm not one of those that needs my ego stroked by admiring passengers in the terminal. In fact, it is due to the "walking Information billboard affect" that wearing the uniform has that I ditch it as soon as I'm off duty and commuting home (time allowing). Saves me from the "Are you a pilot" questions and allows me to enjoy my flight home in peace. After a trip, the last thing I want to talk about is my "six figure income and all overnights in the most exotic locations" that the average Joe believes that we have......every night.

The ones I love are those that mistake you for the baggage guys out front of the airport. I used to help them out, until I tweaked my back and decided that it just isn't worth it sees being I'm the one that has to pay the copay and take the time to go the chiroprator to get it fixed.

A few months back while walking through the terminal I noticed a toddler getting away from his parents as he was allowed to use the main corridor as his personal play ground. He got on an escalater leading to another terminal without the parents notice. I ran after the kid and returned him to his mother, whom snatched him out of my hands and yanked him away in a huff without so much as a smile, never mind a simple thank you.

People are rude, I disagree that they are taking their anger at the airline out on the pilots. That is immature and not productive for them. They could never get anywhere in society with that kind of attitude. I believe that they all think we are overpaid and under worked. The only way to change this is for all pilots to continue to act like the professionals we are and command respect.

They're jealous!!!

Flying is a mass transit experience today. The passengers that are nice go about their business and rarely interact with employees. When you see a customer coming up to you, there is a 90% chance they are complaining or going to be rude. You will find most airline employees act the same way to all passengers, the ones complaining see it as polite, the ones being nice see it as rude.

I don't think this is limited to just the airport. Look around in your everyday life. People are just rude and demanding in general. Custumer service, bad day, traffic commute, I have know idea why or how. It is just what I see.

I say just fcuk em. Treat em like the self-loading freight they are. Pay $100 for a ticket and expect to be treated like a passenger on the Queen Mary.

Waaaaaa

F#ck em, when people ask me whatever I just walk over to the board or look up @ the sign and say," the sign says for you to go here" with a slight dumb ass tone!

the pax that are rude are the ones that are accoustomed to riding greyhound, but since they got on travelocity and got tickets for the same price as the bus, they get to ride with us. Hopfully ticket prices will go up, and we can get coustomers that take daily showers agian and speak english.

Latest resources

Back