Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Who could be bank rolling a possible DL buy of NWA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

General Lee

Looks like MAYBE Air France is involved. Hey what is an Australian Kiss anyway? Answer: A French kiss, down under.....

Merger Efforts By Delta Hold A French Twist

By Paulo Prada and Daniel Michaels
Word Count: 927 | Companies Featured in This Article: Delta Air Lines, Northwest Airlines, UAL, Air France-KLM, British Airways, Deutsche Lufthansa, Alitalia
As Delta Air Lines Inc. pursues merger talks with Northwest Airlines Corp. and UAL Corp.'s United Airlines to form the world's largest passenger carrier, a potential linchpin is thousands of miles away in Paris: Air France-KLM SA.
The European airline already is an ally of Delta and Northwest in SkyTeam, one of the three major international airline groupings. Air France-KLM also could provide strategic or financial backing in a Delta bid for Northwest, the airline most likely to emerge as Delta's preferred partner, according to people familiar with the negotiations.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
IT's easy who's paying for this "merger", its the employee's pensions and paycuts. It must give you all a warm fuzzy feeling inside!

I guess cabotage is bad unless it's your airline that's benefitting? TC

The real answer is nobody is paying anything, its a stock swap, NW stock for x amount of DAL stock.

Its all smoke and mirrors, two broken business plans doesn't equal one profitable airline.

As far as the hedge funds, they will get paid as they bought the stock as it lost 40% of its value. They will sell out and quickly go to their next meal.

Keep Delta my Delta, at least until we (the heroic management) get paid !!!

Last edited:
Air France-KLM could back Delta's merger bid: report

Thu Jan 17, 2008NEW YORK (Reuters) - Air France-KLM (AIRF.PA: Quote, Profile, Research) could provide strategic or financial help in Delta Air Line Inc's (DAL.N: Quote, Profile, Research) pursuit of a merger with another airline, The Wall Street Journal reported on Thursday.

A U.S. congressman on Wednesday said Delta has begun merger talks with Northwest Airlines Corp (NWA.N: Quote, Profile, Research), and media reports have said it was also talking to United Airlines parent UAL Corp
(UAUA.O: Quote, Profile, Research).
The Journal report, quoting people familiar with negotiations, said Northwest was more likely to emerge as Delta's "preferred partner" and that Air France-KLM may back up that bid.
Air France-KLM could provide cash, sweetening a deal and making a rival bid more difficult, while seeking a stake in the combined carrier in return, the report said.
Air France-KLM already cooperates with Delta and Northwest as part of the SkyTeam global alliance. Analysts have also said a Delta-Northwest tie-up was more likely, some noting Delta Chief Executive Richard Anderson's past leadership at Northwest.
Air France declined to comment on the report. Delta was not immediately available for comment.
(Reporting by Ritsuko Ando, Tim Hepher in Paris)

Bye Bye--General Lee

I guess cabotage is bad unless it's your airline that's benefitting? TC

So you are guessing that would happen, right? You must be, I haven't seen an article saying that yet. But, you think it will....TC

Bye Bye--General Lee

So you are guessing that would happen, right? You must be, I haven't seen an article saying that yet. But, you think it will....TC

Bye Bye--General Lee

Yes. If it has to be by executive order as Bush is heading toward his final flight on AF1, I believe it will happen.

Delta wouldn't be the first or the last to have a claim staked by a foreign airline. JB, VA, NW... I fully expect BA to take a majority stake in AA, too...TC

Air France-KLM could provide cash, sweetening a deal and making a rival bid more difficult, while seeking a stake in the combined carrier in return

Gen you might be onto something, open skies !!!
now Air France will be flying direct to Atlanta, Orlando, and Cincinnati ///no delta pilot needed.

I think you guys/gals are falling for it, hook line and sinker.

Air France-KLM could provide cash, sweetening a deal and making a rival bid more difficult, while seeking a stake in the combined carrier in return

now Air France will be flying direct to Atlanta, Orlando, and Cincinnati ///no delta pilot needed.

Dont forget who you are talking about here. These are the same guys that sold the retired pilots down the river. They will always take a quarter now instead of a dollar tomorow.

Yeah, Air France already flies to ATL, on an A340. We fly a 764 and a 763ER for the other two flights. We haven't flown INTL flights from MCO in a decade, and AF doesn't fly there now. CVG has seasonal AF service during the Summer on an A330, along with our daily 777 to CDG. Any other cities you want to be wrong about?

How's Lowes doing by the way?

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest resources

Back