Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Who could be bank rolling a possible DL buy of NWA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Do you read any of the articles I post on here? I don't make them up, and you are free to post your own if you find them. Most say that DL/NWA would pass the regulator muster before a DL/UAL would, unless there was MAJOR sell off. No thanks, we would rather keep as much as we can. All of the analysts (and not Gordon Bafoon who is paid by Pardus Capital to promote a DL/UA tieup) think the better choice is DL and NWA. Think World Domination with less debt and overlap. Will AF and KLM benefit? Sure they will. Will AF tell us where to put RJs? Um, no? It will be a good investment for them, since the dollar is so weak. It is like a half off sale. Hey, they are timing the market just right....
And, they only get 25% of the voting rights. That's it.

Bye Bye--General Lee

"Borrow Slots", you crack me up.

You let your neighbor borrow your lawn mower, you don't borrow assets that are worth 10's of millions. The CEO of AF would get fired (heck, any airline CEO would deserve to get fired for just letting somebody "borrow" LHR slots, "for free". Get real.

Less debt? As of today UAL has a lower market cap then NWA does.

Less regulatory issues, stop drinking the kool aide. Use your head. MSP, DTW and MEM will fight like hell because they all stand to lose big time. The folks in ORD and SFO could care less because they know if DAL doesn't want the gates and slots someone else will. Denver, knows that they have more to offer then SLC so they won't put up a fight either.

Now this is the best part:
"And, they only get 25% of the voting rights. That's it."

You write a lot of stupid things but this takes the cake, you are actually in favor and think that giving away 25% of the control of your airline to a competing foreign carrier is somehow a good thing. IT'S NOT!

Learn to quit while you are way behind.

Last edited:

You let your neighbor borrow your lawn mower, you don't borrow assets that are worth 10's of millions. The CEO of AF would get fired (heck, any airline CEO would deserve to get fired for just letting somebody "borrow" LHR slots, "for free". Get real.

Less debt? As of today UAL has a lower market cap then NWA does.

Less regulatory issues, stop drinking the kool aide. Use your head. MSP, DTW and MEM will fight like hell because they all stand to lose big time. The folks in ORD and SFO could care less because they know if DAL doesn't want the gates and slots someone else will. Denver, knows that they have more to offer then SLC so they won't put up a fight either.

Now this is the best part:
"And, they only get 25% of the voting rights. That's it."

You write a lot of stupid things but this takes the cake, you are actually in favor and think that giving away 25% of the control of your airline to a competing foreign carrier is somehow a good thing. IT'S NOT!

Learn to quit while you are way behind.

Yeah, you know more than the guys at the Atlanta Journal Consitution, who actually talk to real analysts who have a bit of insight....

"News reports, citing unnamed sources, have said Delta's board last week gave Anderson the green light to begin looking at a merger with either Northwest or United Airlines, which has headquarters in Chicago.
Many analysts believe a Delta-Northwest combination would more likely survive Justice Department scrutiny, and most of the rhetoric Thursday revolved around that possible corporate marriage. Industry experts are less certain a Delta-United combination would pass scrutiny without significant trimming of operations." (from the AJC article concerning where to put the HDQ)

Man, you will never get off your high horse. Hey, other people know more than you do, and you are wrong often.

Do you know we will give away 25% of the voting rights? That is the most a foreign airline can have, and that isn't much. Nobody knows if AF will do anything like this, but it is a possibility. Will they control our destiny with it if they have it? They will bring us better credit, that is for sure.

You need to read other articles and get some feedback from people in the know before you post again.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Here we have another expression of the General being, well-an idiot!

The guy clearly was trying to infer that Air France does not need to fly directly to these cities when the OWN YOUR BUTT!
-Duh!

You are a waste of skin, General

Speaking of skin, cover up in Flint this weakend, it will be -30 degrees F. Have fun up there!

Bye Bye--General Lee

I''m not sure about the DAL/AF deal, but I think it's aligned similar to NWA/KLM. Yes, they do borrow the slots--not pay for them. They also share all costs and revenue on these trans Atlantic flights. NWA and KLM have been doing it for years. Both stand to benefit.

Schwanker

I''m not sure about the DAL/AF deal, but I think it's aligned similar to NWA/KLM. Yes, they do borrow the slots--not pay for them. They also share all costs and revenue on these trans Atlantic flights. NWA and KLM have been doing it for years. Both stand to benefit.

Schwanker

I'll trade you a bag of rocks for slots into MSP and Schipol. They aren't worth anything when compaired to the value of LHR slots

Yeah, you know more than the guys at the Atlanta Journal Consitution, who actually talk to real analysts who have a bit of insight....

"News reports, citing unnamed sources, have said Delta's board last week gave Anderson the green light to begin looking at a merger with either Northwest or United Airlines, which has headquarters in Chicago.
Many analysts believe a Delta-Northwest combination would more likely survive Justice Department scrutiny, and most of the rhetoric Thursday revolved around that possible corporate marriage. Industry experts are less certain a Delta-United combination would pass scrutiny without significant trimming of operations." (from the AJC article concerning where to put the HDQ)

Man, you will never get off your high horse. Hey, other people know more than you do, and you are wrong often.

Do you know we will give away 25% of the voting rights? That is the most a foreign airline can have, and that isn't much. Nobody knows if AF will do anything like this, but it is a possibility. Will they control our destiny with it if they have it? They will bring us better credit, that is for sure.

You need to read other articles and get some feedback from people in the know before you post again.

Bye Bye--General Lee

I don't read the AJC, I leave it out for the puppy.

If I use quotes I use the WSJ. Who on 1/11 quoted an un named DAL BOD member, " deal with United could be both riskier but a more exciting transaction. Delta wants authority from its board to take the next step and talk to both."

Anderson is pushing for the obvious choice, NWA, why because he was CEO there. The BOD is a bit smarter and will chose the merger partner that is in the best interest of the company, not the one that makes Andersons life the easiest.

From 1/17's WSJ:
"If Delta were to strike a deal with United and defect from SkyTeam, the move would be a double blow to Air France-KLM. It would rob Air France of its main partner in the U.S., boost Lufthansa's U.S. partner and help the German carrier."

Less reglatory issues, you crack me up! Stop reading the local home town rag sheet and start getting a global view of what the rest of the world is looking at.

Also from 1/17's WSJ:
Minnestoa Governor, Tim Pawlenty, said Thursday he wants to meet with the chief executives of Delta Air Lines Inc. (DAL) and Northwest Airlines Corp. (NWA) to talk about the possibility they might merge.
Pawlenty sent letters Thursday to Northwest CEO Doug Steenland and Delta CEO Richard Anderson. He said he met with Steenland recently, but didn't say when.
Pawlenty also wrote that he wants to "respectfully remind you" of Northwest's commitments to keep its headquarters and a hub in Minnesota.

Have any of the Governors from UAL's home town's requested to see the Anderson? You mean Arnold has not called to tell him he wants SFO to remain a presence?

Now the best part:
House Transportation Committee Chairman Congressman Jim Oberstar doesn't have veto power over a possible Delta-Northwest airline merger. But on Friday, the powerful Minnesota Democrat said he would use all of his considerable political clout to pressure the Justice Department to block it.
"I would and I will and I am fighting this merger," said Oberstar, who has long opposed airline industry consolidation. "Mergers are bad for aviation."

How many Congressman form IL are already screaming, not going to happen! Oh by the way, how many of them Chair the House Transportation Committee.

When asked who he felt DAL would merge with Roger King, airline analyst with CreditSights Inc. said,
"Delta is saying, 'Which one of you two is going to make the better deal, and make it quick?'"

I guess when the AJC just quotes, "many analysts" They don't mean the ones who actually work for the big banks.

If you want to come at me with quotes, you have to do better then something I use to wrap fish with.

Last edited:
I'll trade you a bag of rocks for slots into MSP and Schipol. They aren't worth anything when compaired to the value of LHR slots

I'll take the rocks and the LHR slots too! You see, this same arrangement is being made for KLM's LHR slots. NWA/KLM share costs and revenue across the Atlantic. Now NWA will utilize KLM's LHR slots and do more of the same. Is the the picture getting any clearer?

I'll take the rocks and the LHR slots too! You see, this same arrangement is being made for KLM's LHR slots. NWA/KLM share costs and revenue across the Atlantic. Now NWA will utilize KLM's LHR slots and do more of the same. Is the the picture getting any clearer?

You guys just won't quit with the, "we're getting our LHR slots for free garbage". You and the General seam to be drinking from the same koolaide.

Here is a direct quote from the London Financial Times, without question the second most respected finaincial paper (behind the WSJ IMHO).

"Northwest will operate the three new routes for its joint venture with KLM, while the Dutch airline is leasing the take-off and landing slots to its US partner."

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/30fad8a4-a78b-11dc-a25a-0000779fd2ac.html

I can't make it any clearer to you guys. NO ONE. ABSOLUTLY NO ONE just gives away assets worth tens of billions of dollars. (Despite what the rag sheet from ATL may write).

Looks like you are left holding the bag of rocks

Latest resources

Back