• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

whats it like to live & fly out of SLC?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
While I haven't actually had the pleasure of being based at SLC, it would be my first choice of bases in the United States. I flew out of Wendover, a two hour drive west, for three years. I like everything about the area, the food, the brew pubs, the skiing, the mountain biking , the hiking, and the weather.

Typhoonpilot

It's a beautiful area, although the religious bias ruins it in my personal opinion.

TEXAN AVIATOR said:
It's a beautiful area, although the religious bias ruins it in my personal opinion.

Nothing could be more true. I am a full time student here and let's just say there isn't much of a social scene if you aren't part of the church. But if you are LDS, then this is Mormon Mecca!

Personally, I'm looking forward to getting my degree and getting the hell out of here.

I've lived along the Wasatch Front now for 7 out of the last 12 years. Currently I live in downtown Salt Lake City. My wife and I really enjoy it. The flying is beautiful with gorgeous mountains everywhere. There's a full red sunset almost every night over the Great Salt Lake. Summers are warm, often over 100, and it's dry. There are plenty of places to go hiking, mountain biking, and boating all within minutes of your front door. Winters are cold with lots of snow and great for skiing (Utah licnese plates say "Greatest Snow on Earth"). Winter days are often sunny though there are occasional snow storms and sometimes weeks of inversion fog. I grew up back east and I miss the green trees but I've fallen in love with the dry desert and rugged mountains and red rock. The people here are generally very friendly compared with other cities of its size. Politically most Utahns are conservative though Salt Lake City is more liberal (the mayor is a Democrat). The dominant religion in Utah is Mormon (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints or LDS) though in Salt Lake City the majority are not LDS. I myself am LDS and would hope that religion wouldn't keep you from coming to such a beautiful area.

Let me just say that I live in Hawaii and grew up in Colorado and have lived in other parts of the world. That said I think Utah is one of the most diverse and beautiful places in the world. During the spring the mountains are amazing for doing just about anything and the snow just keeps coming in the winter for skiing/boarding. Also you can't beat the canyonlands for dry desert beauty.

Now if only there was white sandy beaches and trade winds...

I like SLC, been here three years now. I'm not Mormon and it hasn't been a problem. After living in Southern California most of my life, I definately prefer Utah. Clean air, less trafic, less crime, lower cost of living , etc.

There's a book called "Places Rated" (or something like that) that rated SLC as the best city in America.

SLC:
1. Mormon chicks are hot, but unless you are Mormon you dont stand a chance.
2. You cant have more than one drink on the table per person at any time :(

If you can live with that then go for it!

Latest resources

Back