• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What should the airlines do?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ok, what is wrong with fewer employed pilots?

To everyone else except for pilots (well, some of us), nothing at all.

The public hates that we work 10 days a month (wrong) and all make $250,000/year (wrong). Never underestimate the power of misguided wealth envy.

Our management/shareholders can't understand why we want to get paid more for our vocation. The difference between a $23/hr newhire and a $50/hr newhire?...27 dollars per hour.

The public will be reluctant to pay more for their $89 ticket. Remember, they're entitled to that seat.

Until there are fewer pilots than seat positions, we will be paid garbage and get sold down the river by our senior colleagues.

The bottom line: Management, the flying public, the price of oil, and even pilots are all working against our cause for fair compensation.

Case and point:

Airlines fail in latest fare-hike attempt

http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/post/2011/03/airlines-fail-in-latest-fare-hike-attempt/149638/1

*Side note, the comments below the article solidify this fact.*
thank you, reenforces what I have been posting for years. In the end, not management, not pilots, not gov't, not unions will determine what pilots will be paid. The flying public with their purchase of tickets with their own hard earned money will determine the what the market does. A balancing of the forces in the market place will give the final result. Adam Smith figured it out in 1780.

Yip,

I am still waiting on your answer.
thought I did, less pilots employed, more unemployment for pilots. damnflyboy, kinda picked up on it above BTW this is about market forces that can not be denied, if someone has a better way they have to step up and go for it.

Last edited:
thank you, reenforces what I have been posting for years. In the end, not management, not pilots, not gov't, not unions will determine what pilots will be paid. The flying public with their purchase of tickets with their own hard earned money will determine the what the market does. A balancing of the forces in the market place will give the final result. Adam Smith figured it out in 1780.

Please explain how Asian carriers can afford to pay their contract expat pilots more that double what the USA airlines claim to be able to afford. The local pilots are also paid as well or better than pilots in the USA. Example: the local Indian ATR FO's I flew with in India were paid around $4000/month. I make $8000/month (after Vietnam taxes) on the ATR. The ticket prices in Asia are comparable in price to in the USA, fuel costs the same, airplanes cost the same (most airlines in Asia have new airplanes),and the pilots are paid more. I don't believe for a second that the USA airlines can't afford to pay us more and until they do I will remain in Asia where I'm paid a good salary and treated well.

Last edited:
Because Vietnam is a sh!TTY country and no one wants to work there!!! If all the outta work pilots here went there, you wouldn't be able to make what you currently do. Most countries citizens don't have the money or facilities the US has for training and quality of life to have pilots flying for free with the hope and prayer of making some real money someday. And I thought Vietnam was a communist country where the prices are fixed etc.? I guess all those folks back in the late 60's and early 70's would be surprised!!!!

Because Vietnam is a sh!TTY country and no one wants to work there!!! If all the outta work pilots here went there, you wouldn't be able to make what you currently do. Most countries citizens don't have the money or facilities the US has for training and quality of life to have pilots flying for free with the hope and prayer of making some real money someday. And I thought Vietnam was a communist country where the prices are fixed etc.? I guess all those folks back in the late 60's and early 70's would be surprised!!!!
This entire post is full of 'tard.

Supply and Demand.

When a contractor comes to your home to perform a job, you want to pay him as little as possible for the job. If you call around and find out there is another contractor who will do the same thing for less, you hire that guy. If there's an entire group of contractors standing around, you create a bidding war.

The savings from paying less for the above service can then be spent, but not limited to, the following ways: Professional development, education for your children, saving for retirement, rainy-day fund, additional home repairs/additions, paying down mortgage, reducing student loan debt, and...yes..."unnecessary" expenditures to yourself like a vacation or an anniversary gift for your wife.

It can't get any more simple than that. I don't know why this is so difficult for our colleagues to understand.

The main thing to remember is that we are just labor. We are a common sprocket in the larger machine that is a business. We will be given only enough grease to keep us spinning so the big machine will work. If we begin to wear out, the price of grease will be weighed against the availability of a sprocket.

If you want to be expensive and essential, be rare.

Please explain how Asian carriers can afford to pay their contract expat pilots more that double what the USA airlines claim to be able to afford. The local pilots are also paid as well or better than pilots in the USA. Example: the local Indian ATR FO's I flew with in India were paid around $4000/month. I make $8000/month (after Vietnam taxes) on the ATR. The ticket prices in Asia are comparable in price to in the USA, fuel costs the same, airplanes cost the same (most airlines in Asia have new airplanes),and the pilots are paid more. I don't believe for a second that the USA airlines can't afford to pay us more and until they do I will remain in Asia where I'm paid a good salary and treated well.
Not sure I can answer that, In Vietnam and China, it could be gov't subsidies, in India it could be a rich man trying to gain market share by losing his money, or it be in other places like the Gulf states that the market has so little competition that you charge high tickets prices and only rich people who can afford those ticket prices rides and you get oil for free. If anyone has an understanding of how these salaries are supported please lets us know. As per above in the US no can raise prices, they see instant load drops.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back