• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What should the airlines do?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
and there is something wrong with profit? perhaps they should charge another $3 for the crew, let the pax decide if they will pay it?

Yea there is something wrong with profits when it doesn't get distributed properly amongst the workers. We had principles back in the day and that's how we became the greatest country, but now it seems like management all over just pocket the money and don't give back to the employees because they don't have to. It will just backfire in the long run.

Yea there is something wrong with profits when it doesn't get distributed properly amongst the workers. We had principles back in the day and that's how we became the greatest country, but now it seems like management all over just pocket the money and don't give back to the employees because they don't have to. It will just backfire in the long run.
That is true. I sometimes think employees look at X about profit and go, "How come this is not going into my pocket?" But what is an acceptable level of profit, what are the profits used for. If it is to enhance the company's equity to give the ability to raise money in the equity market at lower costs than borrowing, then profit is a good thing. If it is to pay dividends to attract additional capital so airplanes are purchased and not leased then it is a good thing. However if it goes to excessive bonuses for top management in a marginally profitable company then that is a misuse. Now I will agree that CEO leadership in many cases leaves much to be desired. An issue of ATW in 2002 had an article about “Airline Management a dying breed”, the article basically said no one wants to do it. The good track record CEO’s are going to other industries. With tremendous, payrolls, overhead burdens, and extremely low margins, there is no tried and true path to success. Most have tried to increase market share, but this has lead to low price and ridiculous breakeven load factors in 95% range. What is management supposed to do?

Airlines need airline leaders like Gordon B. I think the airlines need to stop hiring accountants and start hiring operational or pilot types who see beyond the numbers. I think the current airline CEOs want to bring back regulation just to make their lives easier. Airlines don't need airline management, they need strong leaders with passion, innovation and enthusiasm for the industry. I hate to say it but what made this country great was we won world war 2 and wiped out all the competition and then set back counted our money and got lazy!!!

Airlines need airline leaders like Gordon B. I think the airlines need to stop hiring accountants and start hiring operational or pilot types who see beyond the numbers. I think the current airline CEOs want to bring back regulation just to make their lives easier. Airlines don't need airline management, they need strong leaders with passion, innovation and enthusiasm for the industry. I hate to say it but what made this country great was we won world war 2 and wiped out all the competition and then set back counted our money and got lazy!!!

Pretty sure this sounds like Richard Branson.

Latest resources

Back