• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What scared you in an airplane?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
1.Bleed air line in the Merlin's nose broke-toasted the bundle of avionics wires right above it.Pressurization horn,burnt wire smell and lotsa noise.I'm glad it was only at 15,000'.

2.Lost a mag on the 414's right engine just at rotation at SDF.Unfortunately,I cut off the good one first-DOH !

3.Lost the primary trim in the ERJ taking off out of GSO.Backup trim worked,and the next week the max trim speed placard comes out.

4.Flying along in IMC in the 414 a big WHAP! and the left "HYD PRESS LO" light came on.Not so much fear (after the shock of the noise wore off) but the prospect of scratching up our airplane.Gear handle down-3 greens ! Woo-hoo ! Post flight,we discovered the de-ice boot off the left prop had come off and hit the fuselage and the hyd. system was OK.Dunno why we got the light.

5.Took my squeeze to work.Paired with Capt. Babe Deluxe.Two leg day,duty in at 6AM,off before noon.Watching Speedvision in the hotel,she sez "What time do you hafta go back to work ? " "Oh,uh,1PM tomorrow".She sez "THIS ? THIS is what you do while I'm at WORK ?"Never been so scared.

One of my buds had a real fire,complete with flames out of the panel in a Navajo in night IMC-the soot turned the windshield black.Another bud was flying with a guy in another Navajo and began to smell gas-a fuel line behind the panel had ruptured and was soaking their shoes with 100LL !

Taxiing at BIL, I could smell a little hydraulic fluid, more than normal. Everything feels good, but it gets stronger with brake application. I look down below the panel for sign of leakage, look at hydraulic pressure gage. All good. PNF says stop the airplane. I stop, and look back through the forward cab, and can't see the fuel panel at the back of the cockpit (15'). Thick red mist.

The cockpit is filled with a thick red mist of H-5606, which is both toxic, and when misted, explosive. A few good breaths is an invitation to limpoid pneumonia, and worse. Two rotary inverters in there wizzing away, one open air janitrol heater, one aux hydraulic electrical pump exposed, and the APU directly below the floor, also exposed and misted.

We vented, patched, and flew on the fire, and fixed it that night. Turned a whole paddock of cows pink, too.

AWAcoff,

LMAO!

Ya, I'm no "old dog" as far as TT goes for sure but I am almost 40 and have spent 20 years of it flying. Albiet many years barely staying legally current. Now that I own my own plane, I can catch up to ya.:D

PS........I hate to stay on topic but I was behind a guy today #2 for final for 30 at Joliet and he did a gear up. He was alright but I'm sure since he forgot to lower his gear, the noise scared the hell out of him!

True, but his ground roll was probably reasonably short, and he did save the wear and tear on brakes.

Bluestreak,

Your comment on the ruptured fuel line made me chuckle. It's not funny at the time, of course. I had a return line from a boost pump rupture once. It ran from a boost box in the cockpit back ove the wing, which was also accessible from the cockpit. I thought I could smell fuel and finally found the bombay catwalk (20' long) about four inches deep in avgas. It pumped a lot into the airplane; we were fortunate not to have an explosion. Fortunately, the liquid ran out the belly of the airplane, and I found the broken line and made a repair on the spot.

During a C-130 ground school one year, I was assigned to do some familiarization to a street captain just hired for the Hercs. I was explaining the fueling proceedure, and demonstrating clearing the fuel loading manifold before closing up the fuel panel. The tube is several inches in diameter, and about ten feet tall, and is filled with fuel for the single point refueling system. As it runs up the inside of the right main gear nacelle, it's a hazard in the event of a hot brake, so it's always pumped clear before closing the fuel panel.

There is no indicator that it's clear, so you run the pump until you hear it cavitate. Shut off the switch, and then push open the checkvalve slightly to verify that no jet fuel comes out. I did that, had him put his ear to the panel to hear the change in vibration and sound. Then as he stood back a couple of feet, I pushed on the checkvalve. Nothing, so I pushed a little harder. It popped open and a stream of jet fuel that would have done a firehose proud, came out, soaking him from top to bottom. It was about 15 degrees out. He appeared displeased, and informed me that he had two changes of clothes, and that he was wearing one of them.

Nor really scared in an airplane, but scared to laugh around an airplane. I don't smoke, but I offered him a cigarette. He declined, and walked away mad. Some people have no sense of humor.

Another ice story

Flying in the mighty 1900 C one day.. Cruising along at 17K when the cpt cycles the boots. We get a right bleed failure, run the checklist, and life is good. Both boots seem to be blowing just fine.. About 3 or 4 minutes later I look outside and can see a nice amount of ice on the wings... I ask him to cycle the boots, watch for the bump, but don't see my boot doing anything this time. I say.. Hey cpt, is your boot blowing? He says.. sure is.... We blow the boots again...I say, Sh!t.. we go down now!!! Didn't get out of the cr@p until 5K.

Re: One Phrase:

Alaska said:
Primary students who wouldn't study the material I assigned them.

Its not that fact that they won't study but its the chance in he11 that they might make it to become an airline pilot later on.

Latest resources

Back