• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What scared you in an airplane?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ok, so i only have a little over 300 hours, and i have been lucky "knock on wood" to not have REALLY scared myself while I was flying yet. I have been in 2 situations that have REALLY scared me, with others flying. Both times, i was in the back seat.

The first one, me and a couple of friends took a 172 from Kansas City to Chicago (Meigs) for the day. i flew up there, and we spent the day. One of the guys that went was also a pilot, he had just gotten his private and had about 65 hours. He flew back, with someone else, who was a student pilot, up front with him. We left at about 8 or so, and headed for St. louis for a fuel stop. I fell asleep in the back seat, and all i remember is waking up , seeing nothin below but the approach lights, they seemed REALLY close, the stall warning going off, the student pilot saying to the PIC to watch his airspeed, to Add power, and the PIC did nothing to correct. Did i mention that the flaps were inop? They broke on the way up, and the FBO from which we rented the plane said to bring it back with them inop. anyway, he then decided he's high, and SLIPS it. We BARELY touched down on the runway, almost short, and its wasnt exactly a landing, more of an arival. VERY rough. That one really scared me.

The next one, me again in back, was on a very short flight for dinner. A pilot with about 350TT up front, a unrated pax, and me in back. Anyway, we entered the pattern (uncontrolled field) and made our downwind pretty much over the runway. it was a terrible entry, horribly wrong. Then we made our teardrop to final, and he decided he was too fast, so in went the full flaps. Then he was too high, so a slippen we went. Unfortunatley, when he slipped it, he pulled the nose up, and the airspeed went way down. As this was happening, he decided it would be a good time to look at his AFD. Airpeed coming down, altitude goin down, im yellin "put the **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** AFD away and fly the F***ing plane". This woke him up, and he slammed it onto the runway, resulting in a pretty good bounce, which he added some power and managed to keep the second "arrival" from bouncing. I either gotta start sittin up front, or choosing better people to fly with.

Ok, Ok, I know it says "airplane" but I have a helo story...
We were in Bosnia in the AH-64 which as you know has tandem seating (front and back). Anyhoo my CPG (Co-pilot/Gunner) and I were flying around in support of an infantry unit that was trying to keep an angry mob from crossing a bridge. The mob was getting pretty out of control, they were starting to throw things at the 5 or 6 infantry guys. We were flying around attempting to intimidate the croud, slewing the 30mm gun around. The first few passes and they got the message. They started to back away.
We didn't see any weapons, but it was always a major concern for us since we fly low and slow. The croud was slowly dispersing when suddenly I heard a loud thud, followed by the aircraft shaking ever so gently. It got my heart racing. I said what in the **** was that?? I quickly scanned all of the instruments, caution/warning gauges etc etc... The CPG said I don't know, are we getting shot at?? I said I sure as hell hope not because tonight is steak and lobster night at the mess hall and I want to make it back in one piece for that. Ok, Ok I didn't really say that, but it sure would have sounded cool if I did.. So we started maneuvering and scanning the ground for a weapon in the crowd.
Then suddenly, Thud it happened again... I said what in the **** is that?? My CPG looked around, and sheepishly said; Oh, I'm sorry I think that was my seat collapsing..... (The seat in the AH-64 can raise and lower about 4 inches, not to mention the seat is made of Kevlar armor so it is extremely heavy.) Why he didn't catch that the first time I'll never know.

What scares me is looking at the planes I flew as a CFI.

Unsafe training aircraft

I am grateful that I flew good equipment for most of my time in aviation, except . . .

I worked at MAPD when Larry Risley still owned the company. Risley came from a maintenance background, but he wasn't Mr. Maintenance, he was Mr. Bottom Line. He would not fix airplanes until he absolutely had to. This sole example sticks out: One day, a Bonanza had inop flaps. Instead of that airplane being shoved into the hangar to be fixed it was put on the flight line and people were being told to fly it! I refused to fly that airplane. See the FARs about unairworthiness and inoperative flight control systems. Students, and instructors, were under great pressure, and threat, sometimes, to log as many hours as possible on the aircraft. Perhaps my act of courage was empty because I had handed in my resignation and was working off my notice and DID NOT care. I left Mesa in part because I would not abide such monkey business.

Latest resources

Back