• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
crash-proof said:
*voice inside your head*

"Buy the Rocket, buy the Rocket, buy the ro......."

250hp, 4,000fpm, 250mph, etc etc.

Harmon Rocket

Arrrgh! I KNOW if I go "economical" I will eventually lust for MORE POWER. :nuts:

Maybe I should just do it right the first time. Thanks for possibly melting my wallet even more. :crying:

taloft said:
One word: Quickbuild. Erm, maybe that's two words...

Definitely - Whatever I go for, it'll be the QB route, not because I can't do the build, but I'd like to get it flying while my kids are still living at home and not off to college. I'm hoping the work will be a fun, bonding experience for me and my son.

Have you considered an "abandoned" project? Lots of times, especially with kits that are no longer in production, you can find one that somebody started and then ran out of money/time/desire etc. Can be GREAT deals, or a complete POS depending. (Be REAL careful with secondhand "plastic" airplane projects, though. A couple of hidden improper layups could really wreck your day.) Try your local EAA chapter or Barnstormers.com as a source for "no longer wanted" projects.

If you're gonna go the quickbuild route with the RV's, make sure you plan to wait for several months. Last I checked it was like 4-6 months from order to delivery. If you order the empenage, wing, and fuse, kits all at the same time, you can be working on the tail while the rest is on it's way. Get your metal working skills down. And it gives you an appreciation for how many dimples and rivets you WON'T have to do when the QB sections show up!!!!

On the Lancair. I had no idea the Legacy used a 6 cyl. engine. That things gotta haul ass.

Huggyu2 said:
Gorilla,
If considering the RV, look at an F-1 Rocket. One guy in my squadron has one and races it at Reno. Another just bought an F-1 kit. It will probably run you about $20000 more than an RV-8, with HUGE amounts of performance.

I've been building an RV-7 with my best friend. We looked at the Rocket, too, because it is a fabulous performer. The insurance on the completed aircraft was 2 1/2 to 3 times what it would cost to insure the -7. (in all fairness, part of the increase in premium is due in part to an estimated extra $15k-$20k higher hull value on the Rocket).

Unless you have an extremely high amount of flight time (and particularly, tailwheel time) OR you are just filthy rich and don't mind the insurance premium, I would definitely consider the cost of insurance prior to purchasing a kit.

If you still want a 320/360 series many are still available it the kit/unopened and ready to assembled. The Legacy is a follow on to the 360 series as product evolution. Having flown several RV's and nearly all (except the ES) lancair's models, it is the best all around Product. The Rv is the best bang for the buck, the overall sex appeal in the lancair is higher. The F1 has gear box issues and the Legacy can be built with a VAREITY engine option. the legacy just took an already proven product and improved upon it. Besides it has more room. I just flew 900 miles in a 320 and the room in the legacy would have been a boon. I just flew the IVP the other way and...well its an apples to oranges....The pilot group in the Lancair community is great just the same. Many 300 and 200's for that matter are still under construction and won't be "orphaned" any time soon. It is still possible to have what you want.

Bum:beer:

Barnstomers is a great site. Theres an RV-6 for sale that is 90% done for only 17K. Thats cheap. How much does an engine cost. I know its going to vary.

Last edited:
For a factory new IO360 I think you're probably looking around 30k when all said and done. You could always buy one with some time on it and to a top overhaul on it, and you would probably save some money and have just as good of an engine. Factory new anything cost a lot...you could find something for around 15 in good shape that would do you good for atleast a thousand hours.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back