Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Gorilla

King of Belize
When the very first Lancair was introduced years ago, I was blown away by both the performance and the appearance. Now that I'm actually ready to build, all that seems to be left is an IO-550 retractable ($$), and a fixed gear basic Lancair.

Does anyone know what happened to the base models, and why they are no longer supported? Are kits available still for the lower-powered models? I was hoping there would be an O360 retract version.

I'm leaning towards an RV, but I'm still doing research. thanks!

Gorilla,
If considering the RV, look at an F-1 Rocket. One guy in my squadron has one and races it at Reno. Another just bought an F-1 kit. It will probably run you about $20000 more than an RV-8, with HUGE amounts of performance.

Huggy, thanks, I'm still into the research mode. All sorts of factors are going into the decision, such as price, support, performance, and construction methods. Speed is way up there on the desirable list. I'll look into the Rocket.

I've mentioned this before.. and it's a HUGE factor... RV builder network is worth its weight in gold.. literally... May not sound like a big deal at first.

With most other kits, you'll be lucky if there's someone in your state building a similar model.. forget about a few houses down the road kind of thing.

Also, RV kits are absolutely excellent and easy enough to put together that an average guy (like myself) can do it. Note, I'm not saying anything bad about other kits or performance of other types.. but there is a reason why RVs are by far most popular homebuilts in the world.

ok.. as you can tell, I'm maybe biased :)

When looking at ANY kit the price doesn't include the engine, even for the Jabiru, who make their own engine. I can't think of one kit manuf. with the engine included in the price. I think I've seen a few that throw in an "estimated complete price" which is a ballpark figure with engine, avionics, paint, etc figured in.

Gorilla
Lancair still makes a 2 seat kit... I believe it's called the Legacy. Basically the same thing as the 320/360 from way back, fixed gear, and I believe a slightly different wing.

Second the RV idea though. Metal is a lot easier to work with (speaking from experience) and as someone said, the builder network is HUGE. Can almost guarantee there's someone building one within 50 miles of where you live. There are thousands of them flying.

On another note... whatever happened to the Glasair kits. Those things were hotrods. I know Stoddard Hamilton went TU but anyone heard if someone's gonna venture into reproducing the kits?

Last edited:
SIG600 said:
Gorilla
Lancair still makes a 2 seat kit... I believe it's called the Legacy. Basically the same thing as the 320/360 from way back, fixed gear, and I believe a slightly different wing.

Thanks SIG. I am aware of the Legacy but I thought it was a larger, costlier version of the original. IO-550? It'd be a hotrod, but with fuel costs the way they are, I was hoping I could build one of the O-360 older Lancairs.

The RV is still looking VERY good as an all-around fun airplane. 6G, fast, tandem seating, etc. Basic acro on one day, high-speed burger the next.

*voice inside your head*

"Buy the Rocket, buy the Rocket, buy the ro......."

250hp, 4,000fpm, 250mph, etc etc.

Harmon Rocket

Latest resources

Back