• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
9yr Capt at NetJets on the Encore
309 hours and 148 different airports in 2013
$119,508
Avg 12.5 days of work per month after using 3 weeks vacation and 12 pto/sick days.
NJA put 7,500 into my 401K

I understand why the thread exists. It's one thing to look at airline pay scales, and quite another to extrapolate into how that plays out into no kidding, real world life. Here are my stats for the year. I don't' have a W-2, but pulled my Dec 20th pay statement (last one of the year) to get my total. Here are my stats for 2013:

- 8 Year SWA FO
-- I live in domicile and am pretty senior on the FO list, which means I am able to get
some premium pay?which is time and a half. I do spend a few extra hours on the
computer each month looking to trade or give away trips and pick up better pay.
- Blocked 770 Hours
- Averaged 12.5 work days per month
-- Didn't add it up for precise numbers, but estimate I'm gone from home 6 to 9 days a
month.
- Was able to get every holiday, birthday and every significant event for my three kid's
sports and music activities off. Bottom line: I only worked the days I chose to work.
- Made $205,441 in income. The company put another $19,106 into my 401K, and I'll
will get profit-sharing next September based on how the company ends up doing which
is probably another 6 to 9 thousand dollars. I maxed out my 401K contribution at
$17,500.

Happy New Year All. Fly Safe and Enjoy our chosen profession.
Cheers,
Speed

Is this typical? If so, I'll just cry myself to sleep for the wreck my career has become at Blue. I was turned down by SWA back in 05, and have never recovered. Its so bad, in fact that I'm considering leaving the profession for good.

Some of the most bitter and generally unhappy pilots I've ever met are wide body captains making over 250/ year and work 10 days a month....!

If an airline offered $250,000 a year to fly just one Wednesday a month, there would be those who complain the trip wasn't commutable......

Is this typical? If so, I'll just cry myself to sleep for the wreck my career has become at Blue. I was turned down by SWA back in 05, and have never recovered. Its so bad, in fact that I'm considering leaving the profession for good.

Probably not "typical." The key to his numbers is that he lives in domicile, and that he's senior in seat. You better believe that helps. If your idea of "quality of life" means living in a non-domicile city, then it won't work as well for you (less premium, more nights away from home, etc.). And obviously, more junior guys don't get as good of schedules. Your personal mileage may vary.

Bubba

Probably not "typical." The key to his numbers is that he lives in domicile, and that he's senior in seat.

I'm not all that senior (top 2/3 of captains in domicile) but I will say since Denver opened and I no longer commute I made over $50,000 more this year than last which was a 16.8% raise over last year's W-2...

There, I gave my W-2 but you gotta do way higher math to figure it out. :D

Everyone has their own yardstick. I flew 580 block, got paid for 900 hours, and usually spent 3-4 long layovers in the Caribbean each month during the winter.

Some of the most bitter and generally unhappy pilots I've ever met are wide body captains making over 250/ year and work 10 days a month....!

If an airline offered $250,000 a year to fly just one Wednesday a month, there would be those who complain the trip wasn't commutable......

Awesome

Latest resources

Back