Vision Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Air 1 said:
It will if you don't pass the medical. I barely passed because I have very bad astigmatism, which means the lenses have a hard time lining up correctly on the eye to see good. When they are lined up, I can see great, when they don't, Its hard to pass the eye test. Some AME don;t understand that.

J&J Acuvue makes a contact lense SPECIFICALLY for astigmatism. They are VERY expensive though. A box of 6 lenses may cost like $40.

http://promo.acuvue.com/promo/FreeTrial.do?promoId=24&inputPage=FTC_R&product=AGT&rc=4W

I've hot perfdct vision. Nevet had a proglem with my vision. I can recommenf my optomiteist if you need one. Let me kmow and I'll send iy.

i'm blind!! i'm blind!! oh wait.. approach lights in sight!

Amish RakeFight said:
I agree.Those antiquated light boxes suck and I always fear I won't do as well, especially when I remove my contacts and get checkedfor uncorrected vision. The nurse is usually crabby and seems to hate doing this test.

Actually your AME (or his/her nurse) is supposed to inform you not to wear your contacts for at least 24 hours prior to the exam. You're supposed to come in wearing your prescription glasses. The reason is because when you initially take out the contacts your uncorrected vision can be slightly worsened until your eyes have time to lubricate and readjust to the air. Same thing if you pop them in after not wearing them for a while. It takes time for the contacts to properly settle into your eye. This is especially true if you've recently changed contact brands. For example if you've worn Acuvue 2 lenses for several years and you recently just switched to Acuvue Hydraclears... They have different diameters and base curves so they may not fit your eye as well.

I've got a pilot health textbook around here somewhere that explains all the things AMEs can and cannot do. I'll see if I can't dig it up incase any of you folks want to check it out. I've managed to finally find a great AME here in Colorado. If anyone in the area wants a reference send me a PM.

g

found it...

Health for Pilots: A Complete Guide to FAA Medical Certification and Self-Care by. Paul M. Gahlinger, MD, PhD

g

especially when I remove my contacts and get checkedfor uncorrected vision.

Why are you doing an uncorrected vision test anymore? There are no more uncorrected vision standards in the FAR's, only need to be corrected to 20/20 for a first or second class.

JohnDoe said:
Why are you doing an uncorrected vision test anymore? There are no more uncorrected vision standards in the FAR's, only need to be corrected to 20/20 for a first or second class.

§ 67.103 Eye.
Eye standards for a first-class airman medical certificate are:
(a) Distant visual acuity of 20/20 or better in each eye separately, with or without corrective lenses. If corrective lenses (spectacles or contact lenses) are necessary for 20/20 vision, the person may be eligible only on the condition that corrective lenses are worn while exercising the privileges of an airman certificate.
(b) Near vision of 20/40 or better, Snellen equivalent, at 16 inches in each eye separately, with or without corrective lenses. If age 50 or older, near vision of 20/40 or better, Snellen equivalent, at both 16 inches and 32 inches in each eye separately, with or without corrective lenses.

This was reference to my near vision, seems the AME I've gone to has the nurse check my eyes without my contacts in.

Snellen eye chart....20/20 line is DEFPOTEC....somebody told me that once and it stuck. Even if I didn't have 20/20 I would just raddle that off. Not cause I was trying to cheat, just because I know what it is.

Those boxes you have to look in suck. We have to use those in IL at the DMV. When I squint one eye to check vision one at a time, the other eye gets blury for a minute. Then you get the DMV guy tapping his fingures as to say, "What is the problem?" At least with the eye chart you don't have to squint, you can just cover one eye with your hand.

Amish RakeFight said:
I agree.Those antiquated light boxes suck and I always fear I won't do as well, especially when I remove my contacts and get checkedfor uncorrected vision. The nurse is usually crabby and seems to hate doing this test.

No kidding, very crabby. About as bad as the icy cold hands from the AME during the "cough test". Wear a freakin' glove, man!

Latest resources

Back