Vision Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Way2Broke

I have a question about the eye exam. Its not for me thank god because I have better than 20/20, thank god (for now anyways). Every time my friend gos to the doc and they have the machine for the eye test instead of the wall chart they do not do so hot. When she gos to the eye doc she always tests stronger than at the AME's office. I don't understand it, but I think it might just be nerves. Something about, "hey, if you screw this up your out of a job" Can you take in a eye test done by an eye doc to the AME in lieu of having them do it?

I'd say no, but something to consider is that I don't think all AME's use the projector machine. I had one in Des Moines who used a wall chart, maybe your friend just has to find an AME who does that...

I was told by my ME last time that since I had just had an exam with my ophthamologist that I could have brought in a report and skipped the eye exam. Don't know if this also applies to opticians or optometrists but its worth asking. The eye doc will be much more "understanding" if you explain the need for 20/20.

Last edited:
atl she already has the corrective lense restriction, that is what the big deal is!

Yes, you can use your normal eye exam results for your medical. That's exactly what I do. You can get a form from the AME (or probably somewhere on the web) that your eye doctor needs to fill out. Hand that to the AME when you get your medical and they skip the eye test.

For most folks that need corrective lenses this is really the best way to go. AME's often have a nurse run the eye test on some very ancient equipment in a brightly lit room. A good eye doctor will dim the lights, give your eyes time to adjust, and generally have much better equipment and tests for your eyes. In short, your best effort on the eye test will be through an actual eye doc.

g

Way2Broke said:
atl she already has the corrective lense restriction, that is what the big deal is!

Why? It's not going to hurt a civilian career. Is she trying to join the military to fly F-18's or something?

g

Grove said:
Why? It's not going to hurt a civilian career. Is she trying to join the military to fly F-18's or something?

g

That is what I was wondering. I wear corrective lenses in my Guard unit, but my FAA eye exam was flawless. I don't care either way. Besides, the military provides three pair of glasses a year for FREE.

I agree.Those antiquated light boxes suck and I always fear I won't do as well, especially when I remove my contacts and get checkedfor uncorrected vision. The nurse is usually crabby and seems to hate doing this test.

Grove said:

g

It will if you don't pass the medical. I barely passed because I have very bad astigmatism, which means the lenses have a hard time lining up correctly on the eye to see good. When they are lined up, I can see great, when they don't, Its hard to pass the eye test. Some AME don;t understand that.

Latest resources

Back