• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

USAPA Card Count

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Is the USAPA a union for US Airways pilots or East US Airways pilots? I've just finished reading the frequently asked questions section on their website. I didn't see any reference to the West pilots.

On the front page it reads: "An independent, carrier-specific union with only the interests of US Airways pilots in mind " and "Merger policy: as provided for in USAPA By-Laws seniority integration will occur by date-of-hire with reasonable conditions and restrictions to preserve each pilot’s un-merged career expectations."

If USAPA is able to push the new union through then it seems two possibilities exist. The East gets date of hire since they outnumber the West in votes or the East and West negotiate again and probably send it to an arbitrator. The first possiblity seems unfair and the second seems redundant since it has already been done.

zymotic:

The West USAirways pilots, a vast majority, want nothing to do with USAPA. They are not out to represent all US Airways pilots. They are out to screw every west pilot they can.

In regards to date of hire policy set forth in the USAPA by laws. Unforunately for USAPA, an abritrator's award does not go away. The ruling for seniority integration has taken place, and this ruling follows you, no matter what union represents the group. The only way to get rid of the ruling is to go to court and have it thrown out. This could take years, as the west guys will fight it. I also believe management would fight it, as this delays a contract again. Never in history has an arbitrator award been tossed.

zymotic:

The West USAirways pilots, a vast majority, want nothing to do with USAPA. They are not out to represent all US Airways pilots. They are out to screw every west pilot they can.

In regards to date of hire policy set forth in the USAPA by laws. Unforunately for USAPA, an abritrator's award does not go away. The ruling for seniority integration has taken place, and this ruling follows you, no matter what union represents the group. The only way to get rid of the ruling is to go to court and have it thrown out. This could take years, as the west guys will fight it. I also believe management would fight it, as this delays a contract again. Never in history has an arbitrator award been tossed.

http://www.arb-forum.com/faq.aspx?faq=896

Q: Can I appeal a binding arbitration decision?

A: Arbitration decisions can be contested in court. Grounds exist under the Federal Arbitration Act and applicable state acts to challenge arbitration decisions. While the terms of some arbitration agreements call for the appointment of a specialized appellate arbitration panel to review contested decisions (such as in the FORUM’s New Jersey No-Fault program), even these “second level” arbitration decisions can be reviewed by a court if necessary.

A binding arbitration decision becomes legally enforceable when it is confirmed by a court. If a party believes that either the arbitration agreement itself is unfair (or unconscionable) or the manner in which the arbitration agreement is presented or administered is unconscionable, the arbitration decision may be challenged in court at the confirmation/vacatur hearing. A court will strike any portion of an arbitration agreement it finds unconscionable, and may even void (or vacate) the arbitration decision altogether and release the parties from the agreement.

Binding arbitration maintains its efficiency and cost benefit by limiting the grounds upon which a party can challenge decisions. It aspires to provide closure to all parties involved in the dispute. Parties must comply with the arbitrator’s decision unless they initiate a court challenge, claiming that the agreement, or the presentation and/or administration of the agreement, is unconscionable.

Weasil, that site isn't dealing with RLA and labor union issues. It's mainly dealing with arbitration issues resulting from insurance claims, warranties, etc... Hate to break it to you, but no court is going to agree to hear a case dealing with an arbitration decision that was taken care of under a legal RLA certified collective bargaining representative. The arbitration is binding and final. There's no way out of it. Accept it and move on.

Weasil, that site isn't dealing with RLA and labor union issues. It's mainly dealing with arbitration issues resulting from insurance claims, warranties, etc... Hate to break it to you, but no court is going to agree to hear a case dealing with an arbitration decision that was taken care of under a legal RLA certified collective bargaining representative. The arbitration is binding and final. There's no way out of it. Accept it and move on.

You're trying to reason with hurricaine season. Expect the storm to continue until the court rules. If the court rules against East, you can expect a "non-job action" job action until every last Eastie is retired or until the company closes it's doors. Storms like these do not abate, the disruptions become institutionalised until all your customers are gone. Good luck and get your resume out there!

No .We're not trying to "reason with hurricane season." We're trying to reason with a bunch of imbiciles! It's got nothing to do with Hurricanes.

Patiently waiting for you guys to return to planet earth,but refusing to hold my breath.

PHXFLYR

Meanwhile,

Every East Captain is giving up over $3,000 a month, and 2 more weeks of vacation a year and more days off a month.

I just realized a senior SWA FO makes more than a 20 year AAA Narrowbody captain. WOW!

Maybe, common sense will take over.

I don't know of hardly any AWA guys that want to go East.

Why? You can't sell your house here in Phoenix, period, end of discussion. Unless you give it away, which isn't going to happen. Financially impossible.

I am sure there a quite a few ex - PSA guys that would like to bid Phoenix and end that x- country commute. And they should be able to.

If USAPA succeeds, or even attempts to force a vote, this place is probably done. Not suprising though. History tends to repeat itself.

Last edited:
Meanwhile,

Every East Captain is giving up over $3,000 a month, and 2 more weeks of vacation a year and more days off a month.

I just realized a senior SWA FO makes more than a 20 year AAA Narrowbody captain. WOW!

Wow! If they are giving up THAT much, then there must be a serious flaw with the award. If they are giving up that much, their resolve must be STRONG!!!

Wow! If they are giving up THAT much, then there must be a serious flaw with the award. If they are giving up that much, their resolve must be STRONG!!!

What flaw in the award? Get over it...Its a done deal! It is time to move on....."How about I take half your money, take you outside, kick you in the nuts and we call it a day"...Vegas Vacation

Wow! If they are giving up THAT much, then there must be a serious flaw with the award.
There's a definately a serious flaw somewhere but it ain't with Nicolau's decision.
If they are giving up that much, their resolve must be STRONG!!!
Might doesn't make right. USAPA may eventually forge enough cards to get an election but winning that election is far from a forgone conclusion.

Latest resources

Back