• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

USAir Furloughes "Where are they now?"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Furloughed Jan 02'. Air Ambulance, Kingairs, Citation, Lear 31, CAL Sep. 05'. Do not plan on returning to USAir, but have great memories.

Now that the "take it or leave it" calls are going out, I thought it be interesting to learn as to where all the furloughees are at. I've counted 1750 and roughly 300 or so have taken recalls so that puts the recall rate just over 17%. As most would suspect not many more will return and I wish nothing but the best with everyone. This is by no means meant to bash anyone and PLEASE, lets not turn this into another arbitration debade. FurloughedAgain had a heck of a story and it sparked this question so it's purely curiosity (mobid if you will) and nothing more. So if you'd care to share, tell us your story and where you're at and your current status (Southwest, Airtran, Jetblue, Corporate, Capt. FO, etc.)

Good luck to us all.

Furloughed Jan 2003 after 14 years there. Flew corporate for a couple years, then went to JetlBue as a 320 FO . Been there about 2 years and a few months. May upgrade on the Bus in a few months, depending on how many Captains bail from the 190 ahead of me.

If too many senior to me bail from the 190, and the 320 upgrade doesn't look good, I"ll just upgrade on the 190 for a few years.

Now stapled to the US Airway list, and ready to put that chapter of my career behind me. It was a good 14 yr ride, and I lived in base most of it, but now life moves on.

DW

NEW YORK (Reuters) -- Billionaire investor George Soros and David Neeleman, two men who helped launch No. 8 U.S. airline JetBlue Airways Corp., are selling portions of their holdings in the company, according to regulatory filings.

Soros reported in a U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission filing late Monday that he had sold about 1 million shares of JetBlue (Charts), bringing his stake down to about 10.8 percent of the discount airline.

Soros' sale came the same week as Neeleman, the company's chairman, who sold almost one-quarter of his holdings in the company, according to a separate filing Friday.

JetBlue removed Neeleman as chief executive from the company earlier in May.

"The recent sales by Soros and Chairman David Neeleman represent a strong bearish signal for JetBlue," said Ben Silverman, director of research at filing tracking site InsiderScore.com.

"Two long-term and committed shareholders taking money off the table with the stock down significantly from its January high and during a time of overall bearish sentiment towards the airline industry ... does not send investors a positive message."

JetBlue lost money for the first time in the fourth quarter of 2005 and has struggled since.

I wish I had a crystal ball right about now.....

I wish I had a crystal ball right about now.....

Lacking a crystal ball, the only answer to "this thing of ours" (meaning a 121 airline career) that I can come up with is to get to the/a major of your dreams or the one that hires you (or in my case the one that just sorta fell in my lap) then get 50% of the senority list behind you.

Then of all the multitudes of things that can go wrong, you can toss them all out except for loosing your medical and the whole airline going out of bizz. I figure that no major or big airline that has ever stayed in bizz has ever furloughed more than 50% and well as for the medical there is only so much you can control.

So get to a major and get 50% behind you, now how to actually do this these days with shrinking mainlines and age 65 and the rest - I have no idea except for luck.

Latest resources

Back