• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

USAF Academy or ROTC

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The students that consistantly did the best (my point of view from when I was a student and a T-37 IP) were the USAFA soaring instructors (glider IP's). Also, I don't think your degree has any bearing on how well you do in pilot training.

Here is one "sure fire" recipe for flying a fighter in the Air Force...

If you can get into the Academy - GO!

Become a soaring IP, get good grades, and go to ENJJPT at Sheppard for UPT. If you go to Sheppard, you're going to fly a fighter.

Good luck!

Become a soaring IP, get good grades, and go to ENJJPT at Sheppard for UPT. If you go to Sheppard, you're going to fly a fighter.

Good luck!

I know they've uploaded the bombs and downloaded the torpedoes a number of times over the years with respect to ENJJPT, but don't some grads from there go to bombers?

You may be right, I'm dating myself a bit here also...back in the 1990 timeframe all Sheppard grads got a fighter....
Has this changed? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Good luck!

I trained some ENJJPT pilots to fly the C-21 back in the 90's...so it's not always a guarantee, but it's FAR better than going to any other UPT base.

Hence the expressions:

"Did you go to ENJPT?" "Nope...I EARNED my fighter..."

or:

"Do you want the normal MQT or the Euro-NATO MQT" (From the OV-10 days when a guy who got an OV-10 out of Sheppard was a harbinger of bad things...."

I enjoyed my Air Force career. It is the finest pilot training available.

Correction: It is the finest non-Naval flight training available.

Please post your experiences going through Navy Intermediate and Advanced Strike Training. How did your UPT weapons delivery training measure up to what you did in the Navy? Did you feel the ACM training (specifically the 2v1 stuff) you did before getting your wings was better in UPT? Wasn't Carrier Qual a hoot?

Not a huge difference. No more than the difference between Gold and Lead.

Correction: It is the finest non-Naval flight training available . . . . Not a huge difference. No more than the difference between Gold and Lead.

LMAO . . . and we all pay homage to NATOPS, too. ROTF.

As to the grasshopper's questions, it's hard to economically beat the cost of an Academy education, whether it's Annapolis, the venerated Military place on the Hudson, or the upstart Zoomie Land.

LMAO . . . and we all pay homage to NATOPS, too. ROTF.

NATOPS rocks! Can't sleep? Crack open the big blue sleeping pill...

As to the grasshopper's questions, it's hard to economically beat the cost of an Academy education, whether it's Annapolis, the venerated Military place on the Hudson, or the upstart Zoomie Land.

Agree. Money-wise, it's a no-brainer.

(Now...shhh! I'm luring Scrappy into a turning fight!)

You may be right, I'm dating myself a bit here also...back in the 1990 timeframe all Sheppard grads got a fighter....
Has this changed? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Unfortunately not. I trained several in C-21's from Sheppard who didn't get fighters. Of course, they were just happy to be offered pilot slots.

Latest resources

Back