USAF Academy or ROTC

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Comet2

I'm a High School student in the process of applying for USAFA and/or ROTC at ERAU and I'm inquiring as to which would be considered the best approach given the goal of attending UPT and (hopefully) qualifying for a fighter assignment. The following are my thoughts (dilemmas), please comment with your perspectives and ideas.

1. USAFA receives the same number of UPT assignments as ROTC, however ROTC has a much higher number of cadets so the numbers work in favor of USAFA. However, with that, being a USAFA cadet tends to place you in a more competitive arena for those precious slots than ROTC(?). Is anyone aware of the stats asscociated with the number of candidates vs. the number of selectees in both institutions or where I could find them?

2. Conversely, if I were to attend ERAU, I would be an Aero. Science major which I feel would make me more competent (and competitive) as a pilot candidate entering into UPT. With the dual track system currently in place, I'm told it doesn't leave much time to 'catch up' like in the old days (4-5 months to track?). No disrespect, but USAFA seems to spend a great deal of time in engineering and military sciences courses at the expense of what ERAU focuses on, which is flying. Is there an advantage that I'm unaware of to attending USAFA?

My ultimate goal is, and always has been, to fly a fighter in the USAF. Although cost would be a consideration, it is secondary to this discussion (ROTC doesn't pay for flight courses).

In a nutshell, it boils down to this: one choice appears to make UPT more of a certainty, the other makes the fighter track more certain. Am I seeing this correctly? Obviously I'm willing to do whatever it takes to maximize my chances, I just need to determine what avenue to take. Before I finish, I fully understand that you're an officer first, and it would be an honor to serve as an officer in the AF...but even moreso as a fighter pilot.

Your thoughts, insights, and experience are most welcome.

Respectfully,

C2

If you want a fighter go guard. If not your cup of tea, join ROTC at any university but riddle.

Last edited:
I'm a High School student in the process of applying for USAFA and/or ROTC at ERAU and I'm inquiring as to which would be considered the best approach given the goal of attending UPT and (hopefully) qualifying for a fighter assignment. The following are my thoughts (dilemmas), please comment with your perspectives and ideas.

1. USAFA receives the same number of UPT assignments as ROTC, however ROTC has a much higher number of cadets so the numbers work in favor of USAFA. However, with that, being a USAFA cadet tends to place you in a more competitive arena for those precious slots than ROTC(?). Is anyone aware of the stats asscociated with the number of candidates vs. the number of selectees in both institutions or where I could find them?

2. Conversely, if I were to attend ERAU, I would be an Aero. Science major which I feel would make me more competent (and competitive) as a pilot candidate entering into UPT. With the dual track system currently in place, I'm told it doesn't leave much time to 'catch up' like in the old days (4-5 months to track?). No disrespect, but USAFA seems to spend a great deal of time in engineering and military sciences courses at the expense of what ERAU focuses on, which is flying. Is there an advantage that I'm unaware of to attending USAFA?

My ultimate goal is, and always has been, to fly a fighter in the USAF. Although cost would be a consideration, it is secondary to this discussion (ROTC doesn't pay for flight courses).

In a nutshell, it boils down to this: one choice appears to make UPT more of a certainty, the other makes the fighter track more certain. Am I seeing this correctly? Obviously I'm willing to do whatever it takes to maximize my chances, I just need to determine what avenue to take. Before I finish, I fully understand that you're an officer first, and it would be an honor to serve as an officer in the AF...but even moreso as a fighter pilot.

Your thoughts, insights, and experience are most welcome.

Respectfully,

C2

It's not the most enjoyable 4 years, but you'll make the best friends you'll ever make at the zoo (USAF Academy). I'm VERY glad I went there and stuck it out. 8 years later and I've got over 1,000 fighter hours in 3 different types of fighters. It doesn't get much better than that...and it all started out on a sunny July day in Colorado Springs.

You want to fly fighters...well, the Academy certainly WON'T hurt your chances of doing that.

Any one of the Academies will increase your chances down the road. Don't do like I did and turn down West Point because I wanted the AF Academy or nothing.

If you want a fighter go guard. If not your cup of tea, join ROTC at any university but riddle.
Guard can be a tough route as it can be hard to get a slot. It's somewhat political and you're competing with guys coming out of active duty already trained. Although there are limited slots made available, they tend to go to guys already serving within the unit.

Good way to go...if you can get it.

Go do ROTC at a state school and party your ass off.

Get a real major while you're at it. Airport mgt or whatever it is you get from riddle isn't going to do much for you if you lose your medical -- like engineering.

Last edited:
"Conversely, if I were to attend ERAU, I would be an Aero. Science major which I feel would make me more competent (and competitive) as a pilot candidate entering into UPT."

The Air Force would prefer an engineering major over an 'Aero Science' major when looking at UPT candidates from AFROTC. I strongly suspect that its an order of magnitude harder to get a UPT slot right out college at Riddle than just about anywhere else, just because there are so many AFROTC cadets who are strongly motivated to be pilots at that school, compared to a 'regular' college.

Pretty much any AFA grad who can fog a mirror will go to UPT.

Your college major will have zero influence on what your end assignment airplane should you get into UPT. I suspect that being an AFA grad might break a tie if there is one fighter assignment for two UPT students, one ROTC and one AFA. But really the UPT management doesn't really care much at all about what you did before you drove through the gate at your UPT base.

Prior flying and aeronautical knowledge will help you at UPT, but only if you forget your prior flying experience during in-processing at your UPT base, and never speak of it during UPT.

AFA grads typically have much less culture shock on their first assignment than AFROTC grads.

I wouldn't get too hung up on flying a fighter, but if that is your life goal then you should consider enlisting in a fighter guard unit and going to college in the local area. If your unit likes you they would probably send you to UPT in the fullness of time. Even then your unit could switch to another airplane or disband entirely at any moment, you never really know.

The good news is that if you can earn a commission, pass the physical, and work hard at whatever assignment you receive after comissioning you'll be picked up for UPT sooner or latter. Never give up.

Usafa

If you are choosing between Riddle ROTC and USAFA then the best path to your goal would be USAFA grasshopper. Good Luck!

Latest resources

Back