USAA question...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Noone beats USAA.

You can budget shop. And I am sure you will find cheaper insurance. But when it comes time to file a claim good luck with your el cheapo, catchy commercials talking lizard insurance.

USAA is a service business that happens to do insurance. They never turn their back on their members....period.

Nah, not true. Or at least not true in every case. I left them once several years ago and came back a year or two after that with no problem.

Yea, I stand corrected. That is only people that get it through dependence.

Noone beats USAA.

You can budget shop. And I am sure you will find cheaper insurance. But when it comes time to file a claim good luck with your el cheapo, catchy commercials talking lizard insurance.

USAA is a service business that happens to do insurance. They never turn their back on their members....period.

Until you try to re-fi your home loan that you already have with them. Won't match lower rates.

Been with USAA since 1972.

Been a member since 1967. I was a 23 yr old flight student assigned to VT-1. I was getting a dependant ID card for my new bride 45 years ago and the YN Chief processing my wife's ID card said to me. "Sir (I am an Ensign, so this is funny) it is not my place to give you advice, but here is tip that will I want to give you. Join the Navy Federal Credit Union today and start an allotment of $10 per month into your account. Every time you get a raise take 1/2 of the raise and use it to increase your allotment” I followed his advice and in spite of a rocky civilian flying career I have a sizable sum in my investments as I approach my retirement. Starting early is the key, when you look at the potential of doubling in the last years. He also told me to join USAA, for both of these tips I am most thankful.

Yip - not going to argue with you on the starting early thing but my generation (children of you baby boomers) and generations to come will not see the return on investment that you guys have.

When you started saving in 1966 the DOW was around 700. Today it is at 11K. You've seen a 10+ fold gain. Myself born in 1974 started saving in 1998 (a year after I got out of college). In in 1998 the DOW was 9000. Today 13 years later it is only 11K.

Some quick math shows your generation has seen a 230/year point gain over 45 years - where my generation is seeing a 154/year point gain. That's a 30% diff. For my generation to make the same return you've seen in 45 years the DOW would have to be over 20K by the time I'm in my mid sixties. I just cannot see that happening in the service economy that the US is becoming or has become. Maybe if we could bring back 50% of the manufacturing we've lost but I doubt it. We need to unionize Asia.

Last edited:
USAA is a great company up until you need help. I've been a loyal member for 20+ years only to learn USAA chooses not to stay with you through the hard times in life. I felt like I lost a long time friend when
I realized they were nothing more than a business focused on the bottom line, and not at all concerned about a member's needs. A great company when you have 800 plus credit score and a reasonable net worth of $500k+, but they cannot drop you fast enough if you suffer one of life's major setbacks as I have. I've been driven to near bankruptcy taking care of my children. I am a responsible and hardworking man, but such traits matter not to USAA.

USAA isn't true to their reputation of being a member owned, service driven company. I am saddened by their treatment of me during this time of need. My children and family suffer too as a result of USAA's lack of service and compassion.

USAA deserves no loyalty as they will not return such a commitment (I found out the hard way). I see their commercials and am sickened by the hypocrisy embedded into their marketing.

USAA is a great company u............and am sickened by the hypocrisy embedded into their marketing.
That has not been my expereince over 45 years of membership. Now they did act like a parent once, when my son had a couple accidents in his teens years. They told me to get a message to him that they would canx his insurance if he had one more accident. Per chance you live in FL and got caught it that flood insurance mess?

Yip - not going to argue with you on the starting early thing but my generation (children of you baby boomers) and generations to come will not see the return on investment that you guys have.

When you started saving in 1966 the DOW was around 700. Today it is at 11K. You've seen a 10+ fold gain. Myself born in 1974 started saving in 1998 (a year after I got out of college). In in 1998 the DOW was 9000. Today 13 years later it is only 11K.

Some quick math shows your generation has seen a 230/year point gain over 45 years - where my generation is seeing a 154/year point gain. That's a 30% diff. For my generation to make the same return you've seen in 45 years the DOW would have to be over 20K by the time I'm in my mid sixties. I just cannot see that happening in the service economy that the US is becoming or has become. Maybe if we could bring back 50% of the manufacturing we've lost but I doubt it. We need to unionize Asia.
Being somewhat selective if I might say, yes the DOW was 700 in 1967, it was also 700 in 1983. The DOW was 9000 in 1998, but then it was 7000 in 2003 and 2009. So your point is, don't invest because you will never be as lucky as me? Because I kept buying when it was low I benefited from it rising. If you had purchased in Mar of 09 like I did, you would have seen a 1000 pt a year gain. That process is still going on, unless of course union activity and BO's NLRB lap dogs destroy companies ability to make money.

Last edited:
I had a recent claim after we hit a deer.

The claims agent completeley ignored us throughout the process and never returned a call.

Luckily the repairs were completed properly with one small hickup. Neither the local claims rep. or the people on the other end of the phone down in TX were helpful or the least bit invested in the issue.

Maybe my experience is anecdotal but it is in-line with two other stories in my circle.

Latest resources

Back