• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

US Airways Calls

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So bummed out, just got the call! offered an interview but I will be out of the US (current position is on a rotation as an EXPAT) on the only date that is currently available.

Talk about timing, I wish I could just call in sick and go, but not possible from where I am. I was told that my current application status will remain the same and I will get another call later in the summer.

Hopefully someone else will get the good call.

FWIW- I don't have any internal rec's and never worked for a fully owned. I applied during the first and second postings and not the last one.

Blue skies!

So is it still about $36,000 a year for new hires?

Yup, $36,000 ($3000/month salary) on anything other than the E190. E190 is $38,300 ($42.05/hour * 76 hours short call guarantee * 12 months.) First year pay is going down around September when American comes out of bankruptcy. New first year pay on all equipment will be $35,000 ($40.00/hour * 73 hours reserve guarantee *12 months.) This will be the same for those who end up getting hired at American too.

being a Captain in15 months will ease the pain?

Free advice for those about to bite: Never count on projected upgrade time when planning your future.

That $35,000 is enough to keep me away. That is yesteryear's mentality. A major airline is no place to be working for those wages. They were invented when new hire pilots were wet behind the ears. These days with all the stagnation, (and this will sound out of character for me to say) there are not many pilots who have not paid their dues. Sitting right seat at a commuter for what, 7 years, is not enough? Even in the "old days" commuter upgrades happened fast. The kids today have paid for the most part.

Last edited:
Free advice for those about to bite: Never count on projected upgrade time when planning your future.

That $35,000 is enough to keep me away. That is yesteryear's mentality. A major airline is no place to be working for those wages. They were invented when new hire pilots were wet behind the ears. These days with all the stagnation, (and this will sound out of character for me to say) there are not many pilots who have not paid their dues. Sitting right seat at a commuter for what, 7 years, is not enough? Even in the "old days" commuter upgrades happened fast. The kids today have paid for the most part.

acaTerry,

Feel free to stay away with that attitude. I just flew with a guy that was hired in Feb. 2012. He starts upgrade training on the E190 soon.

So he will be a captain with American Airlines this fall.

Could the new hire pay be better? Of course. That's what I made in 1999. Look at the big picture Bubba...

The upgrade time at US Airways is LITERALLY shorter than most Regionals.

Latest resources

Back