US Airways Calls

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
acaTerry,

Feel free to stay away with that attitude. I just flew with a guy that was hired in Feb. 2012. He starts upgrade training on the E190 soon.

So he will be a captain with American Airlines this fall.

Could the new hire pay be better? Of course. That's what I made in 1999. Look at the big picture Bubba...

The upgrade time at US Airways is LITERALLY shorter than most Regionals.

I understand what you are saying, but to gamble so big on what MAY happen is financial suicide. Aviation being what it is, the smart man plans on the worst case, and plots his career according to how deep a pit he can emerge from.
When I was hired at Trash States, the upgrade was about a month. It never happened. When I got hired at NJA, it was a matter of weeks, and yet here I am in my 9th year as an FO. I can see the FOs at AA taking the E190 PIC spots in droves with the merger (the details are not cast in iron just yet) and all those hopeful FOs who are hired now getting stuck in pay that is just plain insulting to any major airline pilot while Doug continues to add airlines to a list of pilot groups that will NEVER have a contract completed.
All I am saying is that to go to US Airways thinking "Oh it's only $35,000 for a year and I will then be a captain so I'll gamble my life on it" is a fool's roll.
I wish I were in a position to take that chance, but I'm not, so it's not worth the risk to me. I'd advise the same caution to anyone else.

Last edited:
I understand what you are saying, but to gamble so big on what MAY happen is financial suicide. Aviation being what it is, the smart man plans on the worst case, and plots his career according to how deep a pit he can emerge from.
When I was hired at Trash States, the upgrade was about a month. It never happened. When I got hired at NJA, it was a matter of weeks, and yet here I am in my 9th year as an FO. I can see the FOs at AA taking the E190 PIC spots in droves with the merger (the details are not cast in iron just yet) and all those hopeful FOs who are hired now getting stuck in pay that is just plain insulting to any major airline pilot while Doug continues to add airlines to a list of pilot groups that will NEVER have a contract completed.
All I am saying is that to go to US Airways thinking "Oh it's only $35,000 for a year and I will then be a captain so I'll gamble my life on it" is a fool's roll.
I wish I were in a position to take that chance, but I'm not, so it's not worth the risk to me. I'd advise the same caution to anyone else.

I must make a few points:

190 Captain pay is essentially the same as narrow body F/O pay. This is the main reason for "quick upgrades". In reality, there are no quick upgrades here as of right now. However, none are necessarily needed due to the new pay rates. See next point:

The new pay rates are head and shoulders above the current East rates (as an F/O I will get a 26/hr raise at the merger date) but still lagging Delta and UA. Jan 1st, 2016, the rates are the average of Delta and UA.

US Airways will soon pay the same as UA and DL. One has to ask themselves should they turn down a job at the majors if they want to work there just because of the first year pay. As for completing a contract, these payrates are already set in a written agreement. Joint contract negotiations are forthcoming and foot dragging by any party will not be allowed. A timeline has been agreed upon in writing and any open items at the end of the timeline must go to an arbitrator.

In my opinion, staying at a regional is considerably more risky as a long term career choice vs. coming to a major. (I think you work at netjets so that's a different story).

I understand what you are saying, but to gamble so big on what MAY happen is financial suicide. Aviation being what it is, the smart man plans on the worst case, and plots his career according to how deep a pit he can emerge from./QUOTE]

Yes, play it safe and stay where you are! Nothing like the "job security" at a regional or a fractional. NOT

Its an interesting phenomena that those that make posts about not taking a job at a major do not even work for a major.....

Those that get on now or in the near future at the new American are going to have an awesome career. New airplanes, new pilot contract, massive and I mean massive retirements.

I understand what you are saying, but to gamble so big on what MAY happen is financial suicide. Aviation being what it is, the smart man plans on the worst case, and plots his career according to how deep a pit he can emerge from./QUOTE]

Yes, play it safe and stay where you are! Nothing like the "job security" at a regional or a fractional. NOT

No argument there, not exactly in the best career for long term, but NJA is like gold handcuffs. So it comes down to $104,000 in the hand is better than $35,000 and hope in the bush.
If I was a gambling man (and depending on the next contract I might become one), I'm gambling on DAL and UAL. Or maybe I'm missing something....I'm going by what's on airlinepilotcentral.

Everything you wrote here is incorrect information regarding US Airways/ American. To all that read the above post, please disregard it in it's entirety.

No argument there, not exactly in the best career for long term, but NJA is like gold handcuffs. So it comes down to $104,000 in the hand is better than $35,000 and hope in the bush.
If I was a gambling man (and depending on the next contract I might become one), I'm gambling on DAL and UAL. Or maybe I'm missing something....I'm going by what's on airlinepilotcentral.

Yes you are missing something; starting with the fact that you would make a career decision based on first year pay.

this is correct. I'm 3rd year at JetBlue. If USAir calls me, I will be there faster than you can blink.

1st year pay.....who gives a crap??? suck it up and deal with it. it's part of the game. 104K a year? You'll be back to that in 3-4 years at the most, so who cares? yank gear for the next 30 years and you'll still do better than 104K a year. But you HAVE to look at the big picture.

Get on the bottom of that list of OLLLLLLLD FARTS (meant affectionately). You will move up FAST. Merger with American? Great. More old farts. More movement, more base choices. Who cares if you are at the bottom? Few years, move up a few thousand numbers. If you are even remotely young, getting hired there right now mathematically will make you REALLY senior for a REALLY long time.

Of course, you have to just make a guess. Another 9/11, whatever, and you're screwed. So what? Deal with it then. The rest of us did. You already got screwed by the last 9/11, and guess what, you're still here, bitching on a message board.

There's nothing you can do but make a guess, flip a coin, rock paper scissors lizard spock, whatever. Base your guess on the available information. Right now the available information is: list of old farts + pilot shortage = good to go there. It's that simple. My money is on going to US Air, or any legacy for that matter. If I can just get one of 'em to call me......

Everything you wrote here is incorrect information regarding US Airways/ American. To all that read the above post, please disregard it in it's entirety.

Like I said (later---probably should have said so earlier) I am going by what is on airlinepilotcentral.
First year pay would not be a big deal, IF second year FO pay was in the 90's or darn close to it.
I have no beef with US Air or any of its pilot groups. Just saying that anyone jumping in feet first with the sole reason being TODAY'S upgrade time may be in for a big disappointment.
If I saw a much higher second year pay than I see on airlinepilotcentral, heck I'd be applying too. But after seeing so many things go "the other way" in this industry, I'm a little more (perhaps too much) cautious. Don't take my lack of enthusiasm about the upgrade time of TODAY as a sign of disdain toward US Airways....I'd be applying there too if I had a better war chest saved up.

Last edited:
You already got screwed by the last 9/11, and guess what, you're still here, bitching on a message board.

If I were to hit the Powerball this week, I'd still come in here. It's fun and its addictive.

If I can just get one of 'em to call me.....

If you're in the neighborhood, just hang out at PHX or CLT. I've talked to a lot of these guys and you'd be surprised how many just come up and offer to bring in your stuff after talking to you a while. Even since my commuting days of the mid 90's....I've never seen a more agreeable bunch of pilots as they have.

Answers above in red.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back