US Air financial struggles

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
PHXFLYR said:
Liquidate??? That means I can go home? Never having to set foot in an airliner again???? Your'e such a tease!!!!!:)

PHXFLYR:cool:

Who's stopping you from leaving now? Don't let the door hit you on the way out, ya wuss!:uzi: :bawling:

...all in good fun! Happy Turkey Day folks.

PHX, maybe you should realize that those J4J seats were actually "swiped" from the mainline pilot (effectively, YOU!). And don't forget that those carriers had to agree to J4J, it wasn't forced on them (please leave the "MEC did it, no pilot group vote" whining out). Fact is, the affiliate carriers got 50% of a bunch of jobs that they never had before scope was relaxed (actually more since the J4J slots were not filled completely by APL pilots). Realizing this might be a help in maintaining/increasing the value of a job at U mainline.

America West buying a dead cow named US Airways has got to be one of the dumbest moves ever in corporate America. Why would you want to incorporate a bankrupt company into one that was just getting by on its own? United, Delta, Northwest, and US Airways cannot compete in todays airline climate without drastically changing and the employees will not let them do that. As a result, it is the rest of us who pay our bills who have to suffer from the both the management and employee crybabies in the industry. Some of them on this board.

As a result, it is the rest of us who pay our bills who have to suffer from the both the management and employee crybabies in the industry.

You obviously don't work for Jetblue.:laugh:

Dennis Miller said:
Sure, how about this...............

UAL Reports $698 Million Net Loss for Oct.
Wednesday November 23, 2005 pm ET

UAL Corp. said the loss consisted mostly of $584 million in reorganization expenses that resulted largely from the termination of its pilots' defined-benefit pension plan.

Did anyone else see this and wonder how terminiting UAL's pilots' pension would actually COST $584 million? I don't get that.

US Airways should have been allowed to die. They are a parasite on the industry. Every airline they have touched has been taken down the sh!tter with them. I feel sorry for the folks at AWA. Just like I feel sorry for those at Piedmont and PSA. I give the "New US Airways" 5 years to BK and another year to liquidate. Bye bye US Airways...rest in peace.

Saabslime said:
It's kind of funny how up until now management has billed this as the best thing to come along since sliced bread, and now after we just started negotiations for a combined contract we start to hear how tough the times ahead are going to be speech. Hasn't management revised their playbook yet? This is getting old real fast.:angryfire

Why revise the playbook when it works every time..??? A few more press releases and we'll all be reaching for our wallets.

Dumping the pilot pension cost the company 584 million? I thought it was supposed to be cost saver.

I love how United implies that they would have made money if it weren't for those darn fuel prices. Doesn't matter what the price of fuel is. They lost money because they didn't charge enough money for the product they provided. Break it down any way they want, in the final analysis, they are losing money because they aren't charging enough money.

Yeah I know, if they raise the fares there will be less passengers flying and the company will lose money and blah blah blah. Might be true, but since but they have been trying for over 4 years to make money via reduced costs. So far it ain't happening, so why not try something else?

JetMonkey said:
I guess Dougie finally took a good look at what's going on at PHL. :eek:

LOL :) But believe it or not, by what I've seen things may have started to improve there when came through PHL last week. Some of the rampers were actually awake, I didn't smell any pot and maybe that helped them find their wands. Also, no gunshots and no one was wearing colors. Oh, how I miss Cibo's, although not that much:)

And, I wouldn't count Parker and his team out yet. He's done reasonably well at AW coming in a week before 9/11 and he hasn't yet had much of a chance to turn things around on the US side. Now that the Tempe team is beginning to run the show maybe things will start turning around.

Stay tuned and don't believe everything you read.

Latest resources

Back