United new hire class seniority?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks for the info everyone.

Can someone explain how Guam works. I've heard you get a $3,000 a month housing allowance. Do you also skip 1st year pay scale? (Rumor) How is it out in Guam? Is the $3,000 enough to find a nice place? Are you locked into the base for a certain time period? Do you need a car?

Thanks for the info

You go on second year pay.

I've never been there so I don't know anything about the cost of living. I've been told that having a military ID (giving you access to Anderson AFB commissary/BX) helps as far as lowering the cost of food, etc.

For the 757/67 guys is there a separate side that does the international and hawaii flying? Or does everyone do everything? Does the 737 do the islands from lax or Frisco

Everyone does everything. 737 goes to Hawaiian Islands from LAX and Guam too with the island hopper (South Pacific).

Just curious of the current time frame(s) for people following the assessments for future calls/interview dates. Thanks!

Thanks for the info everyone.

Can someone explain how Guam works. I've heard you get a $3,000 a month housing allowance. Do you also skip 1st year pay scale? (Rumor) How is it out in Guam? Is the $3,000 enough to find a nice place? Are you locked into the base for a certain time period? Do you need a car?

Thanks for the info

I believe second year pay is only when you sign up for a two year commitment. If you don't take the commitment you can bid back any time you want. Are you single or married without children? If you have kids, private school is probably a must. If you are worried about getting GUM as a new-hire...don't. It's only going to volunteers right now. That might change but with so many bids open in the states, I don't see this as a problem. When the hiring merry-go-round stops again, (let's hope it doesn't) that's when holding GUM could be an issue.
I don't know if 3K/MONTH will rent you a decent place. It would be interesting to know if they are opening Anderson's on base housing to retirees, reservists, etc. like in the CONUS. Could be a really good deal. Nice golf course too! -Mil

When the hiring merry-go-round stops again, (let's hope it doesn't) that's when holding GUM could be an issue.
Very much so. Also during furloughs and recalls watching where they draw the line intensely focuses the mind. The bottom 5 to 10 on the active list end up being non-vol to Guam.

Last edited:
Very much so. Also during furloughs and recalls watching where they draw the line intensely focuses the mind. The bottom 5 to 10 on the active list end up being non-vol to Guam.

That's why WE (the line employees) need to make sure our combined company doesn't fall apart. Management doesn't give a crap about the operation as long as they get paid.
None of us line employees wanted this merger but we will have to live with it for the rest of our careers. Management was more than happy to merge because it meant big bonuses for them. Most of whom have moved on to other airlines to destroy.

I've had the pleasure of flying with a lot of great LCAL crews - pilots, FAs, CSRs, ground crews - as a LUAL furloughee so I know that we can work together to make this THE airline that everyone wants to fly on.
Have there been a few who don't like us LUAL furloughees? Sure. Just like there are some LUAL employees who don't like LCAL employees. We need to tear down that wall. It'll take a while but I know that there are a lot of great LCAL and LUAL employees who will be able to drown out those who will go through the rest of their careers bitter over the merger.

As long as this company doesn't fall apart, we have more than 400 pilots/yr retiring, ensuring that any furloughs for the next 20 years will be extremely limited.

Latest resources

Back